Question

Motion doesn't add tasks correctly

• 19 March 2024
  • 9 replies

Hi there,

I’ve tried two different Zaps to automate task creation in Motion from Google Tasks and from Notion. 

• Motion does add a task in the “My Tasks” list
  • Motion does not recognize the Start Date field from either Google Tasks (using the Due Date data as a starting date) nor Notion (using the Start Date data)
  • Motion does not add any of the tasks synchronized this way into the calendar

Any ideas what’s happening and how to solve this issue ? 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @dgWild 

To help us have full context, post screenshots with how your steps are outlined and configured.

Looking at the steps, there’s no field for Start Date at all, even though it’s available in the creation of the Zap (Actions) 

Hi Troy, and thanks for your message ! 

Here are more screenshots of the settings, is it enough? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@dgWild 

For Start Date, you have 2 variables mapped which creates an invalid date value.

Thanks Troy, 

I’ve only tried editing the date format after it didn’t work initially with only one variable mapped

I’ll screenshot the results without the formatting

That’s the variables setting I’ve tried which also doesn’t give Motion a start date

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@dgWild

Is there a field description for the Start Date field that may provide guidance?

Did you try mapping just this variable for the Start Date field?

Thanks for this idea, I just tried, still no luck. 

Isn’t it strange that when I launch the step test, there’s no field actually called Start Date that appears in the list ? Only Scheduled Start, but I’m wondering if that corresponds to the actual Start Date item in Motion.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@dgWild 

Try turning the Zap ON and testing live, then check the Zap Runs history to see the DATA IN/OUT for each step to help troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

You may need to try reaching out to Motion Support for help.