Question

Monday.com get column value and change column with pulled value

• 24 August 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi All,

I have an issue with the change of a column in Monday.

I pulled data from an item with the “Get column value” action and now want to change another item’s column in another board with the pulled “person” value.

1. Get column value

1. Change column value

It works as long as I do not use the value I retrieved in the step before.

The error message is the following:

Can anyone help with that? 

Much appreciated, thank

Matthias

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Update to the below: maybe the problem is that the “Get column value” does not retrieve the User-ID, but the user name instead and user name cannot be sent via “Change multiple column values” back to a column in Monday.com.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @matmid01!

From the screenshots you shared, I would agree that the most likely cause is using the person name and not the person ID. Is Person one of the columns in the board that you’re sending the information to?

Looking at the monday.com integration triggers and actions, there isn’t one that will find a user (and therefore get you the ID). There is a feature request for adding a Find person action - would you like to us to add you to the list of interested users?

In the meantime, one way to work around this would be to export a list of the people in monday,com with both the name and ID. You could add this to a Google Sheet and use a Find Row step to search by name and retrieve the ID from the sheet, which you could add to the second monday step. Obviously, you would need to add each new person in monday.com to the sheet, so it’s not a very efficient work around, sorry about that. 

I’m sorry that I don’t have better news for you on this - let me know if you’d like to be added to that feature request!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @matmid01 , 

First you would need to lookup that Person in Monday to get the ID of the row you want to update then you can use the Change Value step. 

Can you try and let me know if this works?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi there, @matmid01! I wanted to swing by and see if you were able to get this sorted?

Keep us posted - we’d love to know. 🤗