Question

Monday.com error: Cannot read property 'column_value ' of undefined

• 25 October 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I currently have a Zap set up between Salesforce and Monday so that information for an Opportunity updates in Monday when a change happens in Salesforce. General flow of the Zap:

• a field on a Salesforce opportunity is updates
  • it finds the matching ID in the Monday board and updates specific fields on the Monday board to match what was updated in Salesforce

This Zap runs successfully when the ID I am matching on is found in the Monday board. However, if a Salesforce Opportunity is updated that does not exist in the Monday board, the Zap throws an error. Not every Salesforce Opportunity is going to be listed in my Monday board but I also want the system to recognize that and have the Zap stop running (rather than throw an error) if it can not find the matching record in Monday. Otherwise, it is going to throw so many errors that Zapier will automatically turn off my Zap.

I thought I set up the Zap accordingly (screenshots below) but I keep getting the following error when testing Step 5: 

Failed to find a column value in monday.com

Cannot read property 'column_values' of undefined

Remember - this Zap works when the record ID DOES exist in the Monday board, it’s just when it doesn’t exist. Here are my steps:

Overall Flow:

Step 1 (Trigger): 

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:

Step 5 > this is where I get the error (“Failed to find a column value in monday.com Cannot read property 'column_values' of undefined”) when I run the test knowing that the Salesforce Opportunity I am changing in SF does not exist in my Monday board. 

Step 6:

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @cfalcone01 

Good question.

Can you show screenshots of the DATA OUT from Step 5 for both cases? (found and not found)

You may want to change the Filter conditions to be [ID] exists.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Here is a screenshot of DATA OUT from Step 5 when it is success (meaning the SF Opp exists in my Monday board):

Here is a screenshot of Data out when it is not successful:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cfalcone01

Try changing the Filter conditions to be [VARIABLE] exists.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone the filter you are referring to is in Step 6 which happens AFTER the error has already occurred (in Step 5), does that matter?

Also, in the Filter conditions, I do not see “Querystring Test” as an option. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cfalcone01 

Also, in the Filter conditions, I do not see “Querystring Test” as an option. 

Screenshots is an example for representation purposes.

You would need to map a variable from the desired Monday step.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cfalcone01 

The Monday Zap step should not result in an error when no Item is found because of this setting.

But there might be a bug with how that Zap Action logic is configured behind the scenes.

If so, then you may have to explore a workaround using the Monday API: https://developer.monday.com/apps/docs/mondayapi

App APIs can be used in Zaps via these apps:

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks @Troy Tessalone. Unfortunately I don’t have any developer resources to help me with using the API, Code, or Webhooks. What’s the best way to report this bug?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cfalcone01

Ticket via Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help