Skip to main content

This post was split from the topic: 

Hi @SamB,

Just checking if there have been any updates around this topic?

I am also experiencing a similar problem, however, I am using the ‘Send Chat Message’ option not the ‘Send Channel Message’ option.

Based on one of your posts in this thread, the <channel> tag for the notification should work for the ‘Send Chat Message’ option, is that correct? If so, can you outline how I should use this exactly, is it within the ‘Message Text’ field in ‘Configure’?

If so, I have already tried putting <channel>Name of chat</channel> but it didn’t work. I think there is also a bit of confusion around the definition of a ‘channel’ in Microsoft Teams. I do not actually have a channel set up, I have an existing chat.

So I have also tried using the <at> tag but that didn’t trigger a notification either. Can you provide more information on the <user> tag and if that would work?

If there is no popup notification that there is a new message in the MS Teams chat this functionality doesn’t offer value for us unfortunately.

Thanks

Hi ​​​@cmdogan, welcome to the Community! 👋

I’ve moved your post here out into it’s own topic as it’s regarding the Send Chat Message action specifically. 

Based on one of your posts in this thread, the <channel> tag for the notification should work for the ‘Send Chat Message’ option, is that correct? If so, can you outline how I should use this exactly, is it within the ‘Message Text’ field in ‘Configure’?

Yes, the Send Chat Message supports the use of the <at>, <user>, <channel> and <team> tags. The tags would need to be added in the format of <channel>Channel name</channel> within the Message Text field. Chats in Microsoft Teams are not the same a channels so the <channel> tags won’t allow you to mention everyone in the chat.

Can you provide more information on the <user> tag and if that would work?

The <user> tags are used to @mention a specific user. Looking online it appears @everyone can be used to @mention everyone in a chat so you may be able use that within the <at> tags like so:  <at>everyone</at>. Or potentially with the <user> tags: <user>everyone</user>. That said, the Microsoft Team’s API seems to indicate that it’s only possible to mention a user, team, bot, or channel via it’s API so this may not work either. 🤔 Are all the members of the chat part of a specific team? If so, perhaps the <team> tag would work for your needs here?

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!

Hi @SamB,

Thank you for your suggestions, I have tried <at>, <user>, <channel> and it still doesn’t work unfortunately.

For the <at>, I have tried combinations of <at>Firstname Lastname</at>, <at>email address</at>, <at>everyone</at>

For the <user>, I have tried combinations of <user>Firstname Lastname</user>, <user>email address</user>

For the <channel>, <channel>Name of Chat</channel> - (again, not sure if this will work anyway as I am sending the message to a Teams Chat, not a Teams Channel?)

I suppose it’s worth noting that using <at>Firstname Lastname</at> at least hyperlinks the person’s name within the Teams Chat (whereas all of the other options I have tried above simply output the text), however it does not create a popup notification to alert the person that there is a new message in the Teams Chat.

The people I would like to notify in the Chat do not belong to a specific Team, so I don’t think the <team> tag is useful here.

We have notifications on to trigger alerts when people are tagged in our Microsoft Teams app and this works as expected as usual when manually tagging them via @ in any Chat, but this doesn’t seem to work when doing it via the Zapier app.

My Zap setup:

The messages send properly into the chat they just do not create an actual notification popup.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

I should also note that I’ve tried Plain text format in addition to Markdown and I still have the issue of there being no popup notification when a new message is sent in the Chat.

Thanks for giving that a try @cmdogan. I’m so sorry it didn’t work. It was a bit of a long shot as @everyone mentions for chats aren’t confirmed to be supported in their API documentation so likely aren’t supported at this time. Might be worth reaching out to Microsoft’s Support team about this to flag your interest in having them supported. You can also submit a feature request with our Support team for the ability to use @everyone mentions within a chat but it would be dependant on Microsoft enabling support for this functionality in their API. 

I suppose it’s worth noting that using <at>Firstname Lastname</at> at least hyperlinks the person’s name within the Teams Chat (whereas all of the other options I have tried above simply output the text), however it does not create a popup notification to alert the person that there is a new message in the Teams Chat.

If it’s not creating a notification even though a user is mentioned then this may be a bug. In which case you’ll want to reach out to our Support team about this. They’ll be able to double-check that’s definitely the case and get a bug report opened so that our engineers can investigate further and get to work on implementing a fix. 

Definitely keep us updated on how you get on with them, keen for this to be resolved.