Question

Markdown - Zapier to Asana

• 16 February 2024
  • 8 replies

I had a Zap which created an Asana task. I used Markdown to format the task. I noticed today that the old ‘Create Task’ function was deprecated, so I switched to the new one. 

Markdown no longer works, and when I tried HTML, that doesn’t work either - it just goes in circles, telling me to add a body tag, and when I do it asks for a XML or HTML tag, and when I add that it wants a body tag again. Any ideas? I literally just pitched this as a solution for my boss, if it doesn’t work, this is going to be really embarrassing. 

I just saw that they’ve introduced a ‘formatter’ tool for paid plans - have they deprecated Markdown to motivate sales? We have a paid plan as well so I can use that if necessary, and copy my zaps across. This is just really irritating. 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @HG1 

For us to have more context, post screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured, thanks.

Hi Troy, 

Unfortunately that information is private, however I don’t think that would help, as the configuration doesn’t affect the issue. The issue is that using markdown in the description of a Zapier output used to output a properly formatted task in Asana.

E.g: **Test** would output as Test.

After replacing the deprecated ‘Create Task’ action with the new version, markdown no longer works. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@HG1 

Without us being able to see exactly which Zap step you are using and how it is configured limits our ability to evaluate and advise.

You may have to explore using the Asana API: https://developers.asana.com/reference/rest-api-reference

Userlevel 1

Running this, results in this error asking you to add body tags.

Once you add the body tags in, you run into this error.

Evidently, this box does nothing

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@WAZEN 

I recommend submitting this as a potential bug ticket to Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 1

Sure, I’ll add it to the list of Zap-breaking changes I have to report so that Zapier can continue to keep implementing broken, untested “features”.

In the meantime, the > block quote was being picked up as an open HTML tag which caused the HTML error.

Still doesn’t work though as the output does not format the markdown in the Asana task.

Keep in mind this is copied from the tooltip that goes below the description box in Zapier.

Userlevel 1

For us, we’re using Typeform forms → Zapier → Asana tasks and man oh man have these descriptions been an act of patience building.

Asana is blaming Zapier implicitly. 

Zapier is admitting it’s a bug, but hasn’t prioritized fixing it.  I swear, if one more person recommends Code I might have an episode.  After all, if I knew Javascript/Python, I might not be using Zapier in the first place!  Hilariously, the solution here is some Code.

Here’s my go around (complements of AI) until/if they fix it:

1. Create a Formatter by Zapier → Text → Convert Markdown to HTML, using your responses as input.  This will give you the fun <h3>, etc. that Asana hates/now hates.
  2. Create a Code → Run Javascript → TEXT → Plug in your Output from the previous step → Add the following Code.
// Extract the TEXT property from the inputData object
const text = inputData.TEXT;

// Use the replace method to replace all occurrences of the string "<h3>" with the string "**"
// This will convert all level 3 headings in the text to bold markdown syntax
const boldedText = text.replace(/<h3>/g, "**");

// Use the replace method again to replace all occurrences of the string "</h3>" with the string "**"
// This will convert the closing tags of the level 3 headings in the text to bold markdown syntax
const boldedText2 = boldedText.replace(/<\/h3>/g, "**");

// Use the replace method once more to replace all occurrences of the string "<p>" with the string ""
// This will remove all opening paragraph tags from the text
const boldedText3 = boldedText2.replace(/<p>/g, "");

// Use the replace method one last time to replace all occurrences of the string "</p>" with the string "<br/>" because Asana is inconsistent with what it deems a hard paragraph.
// This will remove all closing paragraph tags from the text but add paragraph breaks after each set of questions/responses
const boldedText4 = boldedText3.replace(/<\/p>/g, "<br/>");

// Store the final result in an object with the key "output"
// The value of "output" is an array containing a single object with the key "boldedText" and the value of boldedText5
output = [{ boldedText: boldedText4 }];
  1. Plug your Output from the Code step straight into the description of Asana and test that thang!

Disclaimer:  Your results may vary.  I have almost no clue what I’m doing and I had to tweak some things that the AI kicked out once I saw what and how it was replacing values. 

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1

One more thing.  Make sure Rich Text under description is marked as “True”