Skip to main content
Question

MailerLite API returned an error: The given data was invalid

• 16 July 2024
  • 7 replies

Hey there - For a couple of years now, we have had a Zap set up for our website between Wix and Mailerlite. When we get a new subscriber (purchases service plan), the zap sends the person’s info to Mailerlite and subscribes them to the “new customer” group so that they get our series of intro emails.

However, it hasn’t been working for the last month or so. Can’t figure out why. It keeps telling me there is an error. Any thoughts? Here are screenshots of the zap and how it is set up.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @mmcottrell 

Looks like you might be testing with dummy data that MailerLite is rejecting.

Try testing with real/representative data.

Hi there - Sorry for the slow reply. I was on vacation. So, dummy data is the only data that’s showing up as an option… not sure what to do. Sorry, this really isn’t my area and I had it set up a couple of years ago, and now it won’t function the same since the MailerLite system changed. Sorry if I’m missing something obvious.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@mmcottrell 

Try turning the Zap ON and testing live.

Check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each step to help you trace and troubleshoot:

https://zapier.com/app/history/

Okay, the Zap is working in so far that it is adding a new subscriber, but it is not adding that subscriber to a group, which is what triggers the automation sequence in Mailer Lite.

I thought that it would do it automatically, because I have it set up like this:

Do I need to add another step? I tried adding a step after to add that subscriber to a group, but it gave me an error message, saying that the test data was not successful in the second step, so I couldn’t go on to the third.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@mmcottrell 

Things to check…

Is MailerLite configured with double opt-in?

https://www.mailerlite.com/help/how-to-use-double-opt-in-when-collecting-subscribers

Did you test with an email that was already added to the MailerLite Group?

To troubleshoot…

1. Turn the Zap ON.
  2. Test.
  3. Check your Zap Runs history: https://zapier.com/app/history/
    1. Check the DATA IN/OUT for each step to see if the desired Group ID was returned from the MailerLite step

You can always add this Zap step: MailerLite - Add Subscriber to Group

Hey there - thank you for your help.

So, double-opt in is turned off.

I wasn’t testing it, like before, I was using data that came through our website with an order. It adds them as a subscriber, but doesn’t add them to a group. This is what I get when I look at the zap history of the last run:

even though the group is showing up and selected within the second part of the zap.

I tried adding another Zap step just now, but I will have to wait for someone to sign up through our website to see if that works. It’s still giving me the same error with the test data, so I’m not sure if it’s working or not. Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @mmcottrell,

It seems that the "Subscriber Groups" field is empty based on the screenshot of your DATA IN. This suggests that you may not have published your recent changes in the draft. Could you please revisit the MailerLite action step in EDIT mode and ensure that the correct Group is selected? After that, go to the "Test" section of the action step and click on the "Skip Test" button, then PUBLISH the Zap once more. This will ensure that the Zap is published with the changes you made.

Kindly give it a try and let me know how it goes? I'll keep an eye out for your response!