Best answer

Mailchimp Error: Required field "First Name" is missing

• 10 December 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

I have a zap to take a gumroad sale and add customer email to mailchimp list.

I’m getting the following error:

Required field "First Name" (merges__FNAME) is missing.

During gumroad checkout, I have a text field for “First Name” that is required however zap still fails.

Please help,

Matt

icon

Best answer by mbochnak 17 December 2022, 11:40

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @mbochnak 

Good question.

Please post screenshots with how your Mailchimp Zap action step is configured in order for us to have more context.

Sounds like you either have the wrong dynamic variable mapped OR the mapped dynamic variable has a blank/empty/null value, thus causing the error because the required field expects a value.

Help article about how to change the trigger test data: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/change-the-test-data-in-your-zap-trigger

Userlevel 1
Badge

Attached screenshot.

I have a text field labeled “first name” in gumroad during customer checkout. I then use this data for mailchimp and it gives me an error which is also attached.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@mbochnak 

Check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you troubleshoot.

https://zapier.com/app/history/

Userlevel 1
Badge

Here is a screenshot of an error. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@mbochnak Looks like just the full name was sent by Gumroad and not the first name.

Is the required “First Name” field in your Gumroad checkout perhaps accidentally mapped to your Full Name field instead of your First Name field?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@mbochnak 

When you see the {{placeholder_variable}} in the DATA OUT for a Zap Run step, that means either the value was blank/empty/null or the field was not mapped correctly.

Some apps send first/last name, some apps send full name.

If an app sends full name and you need to split it into first/last name, then you’ll need to add another step.

Here’s a help article:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @mbochnak!

How are you doing with this Zap? Were you able to get it sorted with the help from Todd and Troy? Let us know if you still need some help here!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I figured out the problem and it was my fault...D’oh.

I had “first name” on some gumroad products and “full name” on others in the custom field during checkout.

I have 20+ products and had to go back and make sure they all were the same.

Thanks everyone!

Matt

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Ah, great detective work @mbochnak and thanks for letting us know that you’re all set!