Question

Looping Overwriting ClickUp labels, not adding

• 16 September 2023
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have a Zap setup that loops through the different selections in a multiple choice field on Jotform, and then uses those outputs to find the corresponding ClickUp input key in a Zapier table and then update a ClickUp Labels field with the output from the looping and table lookup. However, if there are multiple selections then the Zap seems to only input one label, not all of the labels Can someone advise?

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @cpzap 

Good question.

Can you post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to give us more context?

Loops run in parallel.

You can add a Delay step to space out the loop iterations.

If the same ClickUp Task is being updated, then you need to first find the ClickUp Task, then update the ClickUp Task with the existing values plus new value.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Troy Tessalone! Screen grabs are attached. Let me know if this helps the question make more sense. Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cpzap 

Can you clarify which ClickUp field is being impacted? (name)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

It is the Deliverables Requested field. I’d like to have multiple labels inputted there. It’ll do one, but if there are more than one value outputted from the Looping then the Zap seems to only enter one value.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cpzap 

You would need to add a step between 8 & 9 to find the ClickUp Task.

Then in Step 9, you would map the new value separated by a comma, then the existing value from the new step.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have a step earlier in the zap that finds the task. Do I need to add that step again or instead after the loop? Here is a screenshot of the full Zap. The Find Task is Step 4 and then the Update Task in Step 9 (after the Loop).

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cpzap 

You’ll need to add a Delay For step after the Looping step: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496288754829

Set the delay time to be the loop iteration #.

You’ll need to find the ClickUp Task after the Looping step.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Would you mind explaining why I would need the delay? And I’m not sure what you mean by setting the delay time to the loop iteration #? Also, I tried adding a comma as you suggested earlier in the chain and that gave me an error.

I really appreciate the help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cpzap 

Loops run in parallel.

So you need the Delay step to space out each of the Loop iterations.

Each Loop iteration has a #. (e.g. 1, then 2, then 3)

So you can use that number to space out the Delay to be 1 minute, then 2 minutes, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cpzap 

We would need to see updated screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured along with the encountered error.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Got it. Here is how I set it with the comma and the error message I get. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cpzap 

This doesn’t show it configured of the new value, plus the existing values.

If that doesn’t work, then you may have to use the ClickUp API: https://clickup.com/api/

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

There are no existing values in that field. What I’m trying to do it add multiple values to the same field as labels but the column seems to take in the inputs but overwrites as the new ones come in from the loop. So for example, from the Jotform there are 3 selections in the field I want to pull from: Segment A, Segment B, Segment C. I want to put those into a Label Column in Clickup as separate labels, “Segment A”, “Segment B”, “Segment C”. When I loop through the input from Jotform it is inputting into the Clickup column one at a time, but overwriting the previous entry from the loop rather than adding to it. Does that make sense?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cpzap 

Yes, and everything explained above addresses that.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ok. I’ll give it another look. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @cpzap

Just wanted to swing by here to check how you were getting on? Let us know if you still need any help with this! 🙂