Best answer

Lookup Google Sheet Row - Zap doesn't stop on failure - Part 2

• 7 October 2022
  • 5 replies

The linked post details a fix to stop your zap from running following a failed Google Sheet lookup. 

The purposed solution is to “add a filter checking the value of “Zap Search was Found Status”

Can someone please elaborate on how to do that? I can not figure out how to add a filter to check for this value.

ModRobotics wrote:

1. switch to setting “Should this step be considered a "success" when nothing is found? “   to true, 
2. add a filter checking the value of “Zap Search was Found Status” .

icon

Best answer by MohSwellam 11 October 2022, 20:48

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Wilson 

The very last field in the Find Many Spreadsheet Rows or Get Many Spreadsheet Rows is “Should this step be considered a "success" when nothing is found?” with the options Yes and No. The default is No, i.e.: the zap will not continue if it doesn't find the required data in Google Sheets. This is what the other topic is referring to. 

HOWEVER, the default is for the zap to stop, if that is what you are looking for? The other thread he wanted to continue one or more steps before stopping the zap. This is why he added this option then the filter. 

your zap SHOULD by default stop if it doesn't find the data

Hi MohSwellan, 

Thanks for your help here! In my case, if nothing is found on the spreadsheet, I want the zap to stop and not send a notification. 

For additional context, I am using an RSS feed to be alerted to changes in certain stock symbols on my sheet. If the alerts are not for those symbols, they can be discarded. However, in the event there is a change to a symbol in my database I want to be notified. 

Here is the run data from the last zap on Friday which prompted this post. Nothing was found on the sheet (spirit airlines is not part of our database) However, the zap still continued and sent a slack message. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Wilson 

Sorry for the late reply :) 

I see, this means that th Slack message doesn't have any input from the Google Sheets step, I though something was depending on on this step and so this would have worked :) 

This is actually easier, you will just add a Filter step under Google Sheets step and above Slack step, the filter will be zap_search_success = True, in this case the zap will not continue if this step fails to find a value in Google Sheet 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Heya @Wilson@! Wanted to pop in and see how you were doing with this? Did @MohSwellam’s recommendations get ya sorted?

Keep us posted! 🤗

Heya @christina.d -- I think so, I have been waiting to see a test case work in real-time, but I think MohSwellam got me there.