Best answer

Klaviyo error: Failed to create an event in Klaviyo, required field "email address" (email) is missing.

• 9 September 2022
  • 7 replies

I am trying to get the data from the booking system I work with to Klaviyo (CRM). The metrics I am trying to get an insight into are : booked class, bought credits and account created. 

I am getting stuck on the email required field. I’ve tested it with my own email address, however, this results in requests all being triggered by that one email address in Klaviyo, which doesn’t provide a clear view on the data. 

I have then tried choosing the raw data in the email address field, however, this results in this error. 

Have anyone experienced this? How can this be solved? 

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this sounds super dumb :D I am quite new to this

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 14 September 2022, 16:27

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @telmanph 

Good question.

The app sending the webhook must be able to send the email address in order to map that variable to the Klaviyo step.

Hey Troy,

Thanks so much for your reply! The app is able to send the email address, I tested it as well. However, all the events then appear in Klaviyo as if they are triggered by one email address. However, in the reality that’s not the case since the actions in the app I’m trying to get the data from is being triggered by different people with different names and email addresses and should normally appear under their profiles in Klaviyo. Or am I mistaken here?

Thanks so much for your help again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@telmanph

This should be a dynamically mapped variable from the Webhook step trigger, which can be set using the Custom option.

https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/set-up-your-zap-action#set-up-your-action

Thanks so much for your help, Troy! I also thought so, it makes sense. 

However, that’s all the options I have. 

Could it be that “No matches found” is the result of the app (that I’m trying to pull the data from) not being able to properly send it? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@telmanph 

The email address would need to be sent as part of the Zap trigger data payload.

Or if there is some unique ID that can be used to lookup the email address via a find step.

Hi Troy, 

Thank you again! I’ve managed to setup the email address field, however, now facing an error that makes the Zap stop. Same with the email address. 

From the data pull, I can, however see that the third party app is sending the email addresses properly, however, when it comes to matching it on Klaviyo step, this does not seem to work. Is there anything I am doing wrong? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@telmanph

When you see the {{variable}} brackets after testing it means either the variable is mapped incorrectly or the variable value is empty/blank/null.

Check your Zap Runs for the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Perhaps you need a Filter as step to check check for the existence of both data points from the Zap trigger step.

Help article about how to change the trigger test data: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/change-the-test-data-in-your-zap-trigger