Skip to main content
Question

Keap Create Update Contact using the wrong Contact ID

• 3 July 2024
  • 1 reply

I’ve been using Zapier with Keap Ultimate formerly MaxClassic for years now. In the last few weeks I’ve been troubleshooting a process with several Zaps. When using the newest Keap App connector, not the Keap MaxClassic Connector, which has been deprecated.

My Zap uses a Keap New Tag Applied trigger. Then, it uses the Zapier Formatter step to create a 6-digit random number. Next, I use the Keap Create / Update Contact step, using the Contact ID from Step 1 to match on and add the output from the Step 2 Formatter to a Keap Custom Field.

When the Update step runs, it will appear as if it updates the correct contact based on the Contact ID provided. However, in the Data Out and Logging for the Update Step, I see the wrong contact is actually being updated. If I send a small batch of Contacts to process with this Zap, it will repeatedly use the same incorrect Contact ID for each update, regardless of the actual Contact ID. Even more strange is the incorrect Contact ID is not part of the batch or a Contact with the tag applied. Nor is the Contact ID used in the initial testing of the Step during the Zap creation process prior to publishing the Zap. 

I have no idea where it’s getting the Contact ID or why it always picks the same one, regardless of whether I try to modify a Zap or create a new Zap from scratch. 

My only assumption is that there is a problem with the new Keap API connector somewhere. Unfortunately, all my Zaps connecting to Keap no longer work. 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Mhohenshell,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Before we dig deeper into this, would you mind sharing a detailed screenshot of how your Zap is configured? Also, please send a screenshot of the “Action” of your Keap action step that shows all of its fields. Like so:

46dd6c0979e3d815d621b8da43084ef1.png
(view larger)

Additionally, please share a screenshot of the Data IN and Data OUT of the Zap Run where you’re seeing the issue.

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Thanks!