Issue with Retrieving YouTube Video Metrics via Zapier Action

• 18 November 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

I am writing to report a recurring issue I've encountered while attempting to retrieve specific YouTube video metrics using a Zapier action within the ChatGPT interface.

Issue Description: Each time I try to run the action to gather data on my latest YouTube video, the process fails due to an error related to the "Report Metrics" field. Despite various attempts and ensuring that all necessary fields, including the "Report Metrics" field, are correctly specified, the action consistently returns an error message stating: "Required field 'Report Metrics' (metrics) is missing."

Attempts to Resolve:

• Specified different metrics (engagement rates, video views) in the "Report Metrics" field.
  • Ensured the correct format and input for the Start Date, End Date, and Channels fields.
  • Repeated the action multiple times to check for temporary glitches.

Despite these efforts, the issue persists, preventing the retrieval of the desired analytics.

Request for Assistance: Could you please investigate this issue and provide a resolution or guidance on how to correctly use the action for YouTube video metrics? Your prompt attention to this matter would be greatly appreciated, as the data is crucial for analyzing and optimizing YouTube content strategy.

Thank you for your time and assistance. I look forward to your response and a possible solution to this issue.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @carlosdev,

Before we dive deeper, could you please send a screenshot of the Zap you’re working on? Also, could you please send a screenshot of the “Get Report in YouTube” action step for me to double-check the setup? Here’s an example screenshot:

46dd6c0979e3d815d621b8da43084ef1.png
(view larger)

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Thanks!

Userlevel 1

Hello, I am working on the Zapier Action called ‘Youtube: Get Report’. It is not a zap, but an action I want to integrate to a custom GPT. The problem I encounter when using this action is that the ‘Report Metrics’ function does not seem to work fine. I attach below a screenshot of the error that is displayed on screen. Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @carlosdev! 👋

Thanks so much for sharing that helpful screenshot of the error you’re running into with the Zapier AI action. Hmm, it looks as though each of the fields on the Get Report action are required (Report Type, Start Date, End Date, Channels and Report Metrics) but the option to have AI guess a value for the fields has been selected. Which is fine for when it’s running as the AI would supply a value. But I suspect what might be happening here is that the Report Metrics field is relying on some information from a previous field in order to be able to load the list of metrics for you to select.

To test that theory can you try selecting some values for the other fields then attempt to select the relevant metric from the Report Metrics field?

I’m hoping that’ll then allow you to load the available metrics to choose from. And then you can change the other fields back to use the “Have AI guess a value for this field” option. Can you give that a try and let us know how you get on?

Hi @SamB and @ken.a! I’m reaching out because I am working on something similar. I would like to pull YouTube metrics (view count) into a Google Sheet using Zapier.

But I’m not sure where to get started. In @carlosdev’s screenshot it looks like there is a Zapier step pulling from YouTube but I am not able to access that on my account. 

Thanks in advance! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @lette, thanks for reaching out here! 👋

That’s odd, the YouTube app on Zapier has a Get Report action available that should be possible to select when setting up a Zapier AI action or a Zap:
b2bc0a92aacfbbed8154c25410e6a6ce.png

You mentioned that you’re working on something similar so I just want to confirm whether you’re having trouble accessing that action while setting up a Zap, or while setting up an AI action? Once we’ve got a bit more context on the situation we’ll be better able to assist.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you! 🙂

Hi @SamB, ohh I think that is where I got confused. I was looking under triggers and must have missed it. What I want is to be able to pull YouTube data into a Google Sheet once a week via a Zap. So I think I can make the first step a Scheduler then use this Action. 

Thank you for your quick reply! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

No worries, @lette! 🙂 Yes, I’d agree that using Schedule by Zapier as the trigger followed by a Get Report (YouTube) action would be the correct approach for that sort of workflow. 

Sounds like you’re all set for the moment but please do reach out to the Community again if we can help with anything else at all - always happy to help!