Question

Issue Adding email to constant contact - Error message: Validation failed: Email already exists for contact

Badge

I have an issue where I receive errors because a contact email address already exists in ConstantContact, but I want to ensure it’s added to a list or skip if it is added.

Here is the scenario.

1. I have a WordPress site with TutorLMS - for online course registrations. I have more than one course.
  2. When an order comes in I have an automation where orders for a specific course are added to a Google Sheet for that specific course.
  3. Through Zapier I have an automation set to watch for a new row on the sheet and then add to a specific constant contact list for members of that specific course.

There are three scenarios here I want to address. 

1. Contact has previously been deleted from another list
  2. Contact previously unsubscribed from another list
  3. Contact in list - already purchased this course at a previous time

I have an automation setup which was previously working - but I hit a roadblock with #3 listed above.
    IF the contact already exists in this list, I’d still like this flow to continue without an error. And if possible - to act as if this contact was just added again. - IE new product order.

I have an email automation setup within constant contact so that when a new order comes in from my site, the contact is added to the list, and then an email is sent to this person to welcome them to the course (with other instructions and info). So I’d like that automation to still run if this contact was previously in the list. They still need to be added (or updated) in this list, and sent that email automation even if an additional time. 

I’m sure there is a simple fix but I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

I’m attaching a picture below of my current flow.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @LowellB 

Instead of Find/Create Contact for Constant Contact, you may have to try this:

Find Contact

Paths

Path A - Create Contact

Path B - Update Contact

You can also try adding Error Handler logic to the Zap step: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/22495436062605-Set-up-custom-error-handling#h_01HPPKK18N9C64R762TSZGMFPK

Badge

Thank you. I’ll try that and see if I can make it work.

Badge

Having trouble with this. Can you provide an example to show how to properly setup each step?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@LowellB 

To give us more context, post screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured.

Badge

Sure. Attached below are the steps I created.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@LowellB 

Can you elaborate about the issues you are having configuring the Zap steps?

In Step 2, remove the Extra Fields

For step 5, try using this Zap action: CC - Create Contact

Badge

Or step 2 I received a response from a test a below - so this looks good that it will confirm and move on.

See below: 

At Step 4 - Do have I have this setup correctly - Should it be using the email address filled from step 1 (the google sheet) or from step 2 - where it pulls the email. I noticed the message says “missing sample”

See below:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@LowellB 

You don’t need Step 5, only Step 6 in that Path.

You would need to map the Email address from Step 1 since you are creating a new Contact.

Badge

Okay Thanks.

I have run the test at step 2 - all seems fine there - using the test data  it came back with “

Zap Search Was Found Status : False

Which means it should move to step - however when I run step 4 it gives an error:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@LowellB 

If the Email does not exist in Step 1, then how are you going to create a Contact that requires an Email?

Badge

Okay. I again may not be doing this correct.

My goal here is this:
User registers on my site for one of 2 courses. As soon as the user registers for the course they are automatically added to a google sheet with their contact info. 

This part works okay.
I  now want to be able to import the user data to a constant contact list for that specific course community.
The issues I’ve had doing this are either:

1. Contact does not exists (and have never existed in constant contact)
    In this case we can add a new contact.  Previously this was working okay.
  2. If the contact exists in constant contact but not in this list - I want them added to a specific list for this course (previously I received an error that the contact existed which is why there was also the “update” step on that create/update contact.
  3. If a contact was Unsubscribed to a list - This gave an error
  4. If a contact was deleted - it’s kept in constant contacts system (gave an error) and has to be added back.

So, going back to your previous response - for Step 4 - what I'm intending to do here is that if the email address is not found in Step 2 - where we have the action to “find” the specific email address pulled from step 1, where it’s looking for status “all”, it should then proceed to step 5 - where it will attempt to create a new contact. Am I doing this incorrectly?
Badge

I also forgot one other problem; If I try to import a contact and that contact previously purchased the same course, and is already in the list - They won’t be added again - or have it so their contact is updated on constant contacts end as if they just rejoined that list. I have an automation setup on Constant Contacts side so that when a new member is added to the list it sends a welcome email. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@LowellB

You will want to make the conditions for each Path unique, so that only 1 of the N paths processes.

For Step 4, you will want your Filter conditions to check the output from Step 2. (e.g. Found = FALSE)

Badge

as in this?:

Badge

@Troy Tessalone  - thanks so much for the ongoing help. I know we are close to making this all work perfectly - thank you so much!

Okay. I got that path step (step 5) to work. The first time I tested it it went through - as in - the email was not currently on the list, the contact was added successfully.

Now, As I know this contact would be on the list, and to go through an error I had previously I did the following:

I re ran the test - which then returned the error (see below) as the contact is already on the list.

My question is this: should this then also have a “path” after step 5 - and what should I include there so that if the contact is in the list the zap won’t stop via error and will continue.

I assume I would set it up somewhat similar to what I have in Path step 6 - however when I reran that I got the following error:

for reference:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@LowellB

Make sure to retest the Zap steps in order again.

If you have the Filters in Step 4 configured correctly, then Step 5 should not run again for an existing Contact found in Step 2.

For Step 7, check the field descriptions for guidance about the expected values.

You would need to map the Contact ID from Step 2.

Badge

@Troy Tessalone Thank you so much.

Things seem to be working. I tested with a contact that has not been added, a contact that exists but would be updated (added again) successfully, and tested with a contact that was “deleted” from CC and the address was added again without an error. I may not need that third step ( 8 ) in my zap as it seemed to get added when I tested with Step 6.

I do have another question which you may or may not be able to help with.

As mentioned earlier I have an Automation on Constant Contact to look for new contacts added to this specific list. When a contact is added, it will send out a series of emails.

The issue I currently have is that when I tested with an email address that I had deleted, while the email was added back to the list, the automation did not send the first email again. 
Do you know if there is a way to make it seem like this is a “new” or “fresh” contact so that automation would fire again?

This would be an issue for any contact that was deleted or removed from the list, OR for any contact that had purchased this course once, and then possibly purchased again. In those cases I can’t get the email automation on Constant contact to send again.

If you think I should connect with Constant Contact support for this, please let me know. 

Thank you again for all your help with setting this zap up. It’s been an issue for me for a while and I was so frustrated to not get things setup. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@LowellB 

Best to reach out to Constant Contact for guidance with settings in their app.