Skip to main content

Hello, Community:

Beginner Zapper here, with an error issue I can’t seem to correct.

I’ve started to get error messages when running a Zap made from Zapier’s templates to Generate a Sales Receipt in Quickbooks online when a new payment is received in Stripe:

The error message you’re encountering, “Invalid Reference Id: Invalid Reference Id : Line.SalesItemLineDetail.ItemRef, Quickbooks Field: Line.SalesItemLineDetail.ItemRef,” suggests that there is an issue with the item reference ID provided in the sales receipt creation process in QuickBooks Online.

The help article does not directly address this specific error message. However, it does mention that when using line items in QuickBooks Online through Zapier, you need to ensure that the items are set up correctly in QuickBooks and that the correct product/service is being referenced.

To resolve the error, you should check the following:

1. Ensure that the “line_item_id” value you are passing corresponds to a valid product/service item in QuickBooks Online. The “line_item_id” should be the unique identifier for the item in QuickBooks, not the item’s name or description.
  2. If you are using a dynamic value for the “line_item_id” from a previous step in the Zap, make sure that the previous step is providing the correct item reference ID.
  3. Verify that the item you are referencing is set up in QuickBooks Online and that it is marked as a product/service that can be used in sales transactions.

If you continue to experience issues after checking these points, you may need to reach out to Zapier support for further assistance.

The items ARE listed in QBO, and marked as product/services that can be used in sales transactions.

I’ve tried checking all the steps in the Zap, (I added two date change steps, and two Formatter Text Steps, to split the customer name in to first and last) but there doesn’t seem to be any place where I can specify a “line_item-id” value in any of them.

Any ideas for what to do next to try and fix this problem? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Well, I partially fixed the problem myself. The solution: copying and pasting Stripe product IDs to the SKU field for each product in Quickbooks.

Weirdly, though, the sales receipts created in QBO don’t always list the correct products sold in Stripe. But at least the Zap isn’t failing altogether now...

That’s an awesome news @Regency Fiction Writers! We’re glad to hear that the issue is now resolved!

Also, thank you for sharing the solution here. This will be helpful to our Community members who might have the same issue.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗