Skip to main content
Best answer

Intercom: token_unauthorized error

• 22 August 2024
  • 5 replies

Hi, I am looking to add an article every time a database in Notion is updated. However, I am stuck at the basic integration due to authentication issue. I am getting a token_unauthorized error on any request. I have connected my Intercom account and gave all the permissions it requested. 

1. I am trying to read/update article but I dont see any permissions related to article in the auth dialog. Could that be the reason but I don’t see a way to include it 
  2. Do I have to be at a certain intercom level to be able to do so? Also not obvious from some searches I did. 

thanks for any help getting me unblocked. Feels like this is something basic/simple and I am just missing it. 

Hi and welcome to the Community @Rukhsar😁

That’s odd, according the How to Get Started with Intercom guide here there aren’t any restrictions based or plan or user permissions:

f8d8f5491c6d9be2e05d8d0ed49612c9.png

But as you say there don’t appear to be any permissions being requested for articles so that may well be why it’s erroring.

Can you confirm what action(s) you’re seeing that “token_unauthorized” error on? Asking as I don’t see any actions available for the Intercom app on Zapier that would allow you to find or create/update an article in Intercom. Are you using an API Request or Custom Action?

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!

I am using API request. I have tried retrieve an article and update an article 

Thanks for confirming that @Rukhsar!

In that case I’d recommend reaching out to our Support team to put in a feature request to also seek the relevant permissions for articles when connecting an Intercom account. You can do that here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help 

In the meantime, it looks like you’d be able to use those endpoints for Intercom without OAuth so I’d suggest trying a Webhooks action instead of the Intercom API Request action. It’s a bit more advanced as you’d need to set up the token and include the authentication details in the request. But I’d have thought it should work if you include the authentication token in the Headers section like so:
7c04f55d847fef6576d2d7c485090f3b.png
I found a guide on Intercom’s site that explains how to generate an access token here: Intercom > How to get your Access Token. And we have a general guide on how to set up Webhooks in Zapier which you might also find useful on this: Send webhooks in Zaps

Hope that helps to get you pointed in the right direction. If you run into any issues on that or have any further questions just let us know!

Thank you!

You’re most welcome @Rukhsar🤗

Please do keep us updated on how you get on with this. Would love to hear from you!