Question

Intercom to Zendesk: Unable to pull lead's message for support ticket Creation.

• 9 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi - we are setting up a zap between Intercom and Zendesk that creates a ticket in Zendesk when a lead is tagged with “support ticket” however, I can’t seem to pull in the lead’s message that is needed for support to know what the ticket is about.

During the Intercom chat, we ask for normal fields (name, phone, email) and then ask for “subject” and “message” (setup as person data attributes) that we then want to populate in the “Subject” and “Message” on the Zendesk ticket but it isn’t an option in the dropdown.

Any ideas or workarounds?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Jina Watson! Welcome to community - we’re excited to have you! 🎉

Hmm, are you using the Tag Added to Conversation Intercom trigger by chance? 

If so pulling in the whole conversation isn’t supported at the moment. More on this in a similar thread here. Let me know if this is what you were looking to achieve and I’m happy to get you added to this feature request as well. 🙂

It’s an extra click but do you think a link to the transcript would work?

Let us know! 🙂

Hey @christina.d! Thanks for the welcome and the quick response!

I’m using the “Tag Added to Lead in Intercom” trigger because I can pull in Name, Phone and Email. I was looking to pull some of the custom fields I created under persona data in Intercom. Within the Intercom conversation we collect data through those custom fields/attributes and that’s what I specifically want to pull in.

So where Zendesk asks for the subject, I’d want to drop in the Intercom subject field data. For First Comment/Description, we’d want to pull in our message field data.

Is that also not available?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying! You know, I think we may be running into a bug but would love to test it if you don’t mind!

After the Tag Added to Lead in Intercom trigger are you able to add a Find Lead Intercom search right after it and see if the custom fields show up then?

For context, custom fields aren’t showing up for some triggers (webhooks) but are for others (polling). I’m hoping by adding the extra search function we’re able to see the attributes you need.🤞🏽

Let us know how that works for you!

Unfortunately they’re only showing the fields I can see with the trigger action, no custom attributes that I created are listed. 

I think I might have figured out a fix. It looks like the custom attributes are not pulling through to Zapier (a bug like you mentioned) - so I created a step of “Create/Update Lead in Intercom” then created an action to create a custom attribute. That then appeared in Intercom and I am able to use it to collect information in the conversation then pull it back through Zapier to go to Zendesk.

Not sure why the custom attributes aren’t pulling naturally from Intercom to Zap without the first creation from Zapier. Is this fixable on Zap’s end?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Huh, what a nifty workaround! Thanks for sharing it here! 🙂

I did add you as an affected user to that bug report. While I don't have an ETA on a fix, this is the best way to stay informed as it ensures you'll be emailed at that time! 

We'll also be sure to keep the thread updated with any other available workarounds or news.

Sorry to not have better news but we appreciate you raising this in community!