Question

Instagram not syncing properly to webflow

• 12 March 2024
  • 5 replies

I have set up a zap for my business website. For the most part, it is working. BUT, it is somehow dropping images. For example, when I upload 50 images to instagram, only 45 transfer. I have gotten this to the point that I have deleted everything out of my instagram and mt webflow CMS multiple times. I am now posting only three images at a time. I am running the zap MANUALLY. 

Things are not syncing properly.

I am risking a brain bleed here. I have no idea how to make this consistent, but this is for my professional portfolio, and I need everything I am uploading on instagram to be available in webflow.

Unfortunately, webflow does not have the ability to create a self-contained gallery… so this is my option. But I just don’t get the inconsistency. 

I am not receiving any error messages.

Please help.

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @realvuecda,

It looks like Webflow has a rate limit of 60 requests per minute: https://docs.developers.webflow.com/data/reference/rate-limits-1

I know you mentioned a number less than 60, but if requests are happening within a minute, that could be the issue.

Some screenshots of how you’re triggering and your zap steps would be helpful. 

Here’s some generic troubleshooting steps pulled from ChatGPT:

1. Check the Zap History: If you haven't already, review the Zap History on Zapier to see if there are any failed tasks or if certain images are being skipped over. Sometimes, the issue is clearer from the history logs, even when no explicit error message is shown.

2. API Rate Limits: Both Instagram (via Facebook's Graph API) and Webflow have rate limits on their APIs. If you're uploading a large number of images in a short time frame, you might be hitting these limits. This could explain why some images are not being transferred. Review the API documentation for both services to understand the limits.

3. Image Size and Format Constraints: Ensure that the images meet any size or format specifications required by both Instagram and Webflow. Sometimes, issues arise because an image doesn't meet the criteria for uploading, leading to it being skipped.

4. Zapier Trigger and Action Settings: Double-check the settings for your Zap, especially the trigger and action configurations. Ensure that the trigger is correctly set up to capture all new posts from Instagram and that the action properly creates a new item in your Webflow CMS. It's possible that a setting or filter within the Zap is causing the issue.

5. Manual Trigger vs. Automatic Operation: Since you mentioned running the zap manually, consider if the manual trigger process might be missing some images due to timing or selection issues. Testing with automatic triggers, if possible, could help identify if the manual process is contributing to the problem.

6. Webflow CMS Structure: Verify that your Webflow CMS is set up to accommodate the type of data being sent from Instagram. If there's a mismatch in data types or structures, it might result in successful transfers for some images but not for others.

7. Zapier Support: If you've gone through these checks and still face issues, reaching out to Zapier Support can be a good next step. They might be able to provide more specific insights based on your Zap's configuration and logs.

8. Alternative Solutions: If the direct Instagram to Webflow route continues to be problematic, consider alternative workflows. For example, you might use a middleman service or storage (like Google Drive or Dropbox) to first collect the images from Instagram and then have another Zap that monitors this storage to update Webflow. This adds a step but might offer more reliability and control.

Best,

Ryan Schweighart
Whole Hart Impact, LLC
whimpact.co
I help businesses with HubSpot and Zapier. 

Hi Ryan. Thanks for taking the time to try and help. 

My requests were NOT happening within a minute. Much longer than that, even when my testing broke down to 3 photos, as I am manually loading them to instagram one at a time. After checking the logs, however, I can see that at this point I have tested my zap enough that I have reached my limit, and now everything is on hold. Based on the timestamps, it is possible that the problems started occurring at about the time indicated. Honestly, I didn’t check the clock.

I don’t know what qualifies as a “Task.”

When Zapier refers to a “task,” will that be the transfer of one individual image, or one sync with multiple images?

Short of setting up a new Zapier account, is there a way to reset the counter? Or if I just say F it, it’s worth 20 bucks to finish this, can I become a paid customer and have my account revert back to free in 30 days?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@realvuecda, not a problem! Here’s all the details about tasks: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496196837261-How-is-usage-measured-in-Zapier

For the most part, it’s any action step that counts as a task. Check the link for all the details. In your case, if each image transfer is a step, that will count as one task for each image.

You can see when it resets from your homepage:

Click on manage plan to see the exact Usage reset date in the top right.

Yes, you can pay for plans on a monthly basis and cancel prior to the next month charging you.

I don’t have a problem paying for a month because I wasn’t diligent about tracking my use.

I just want to make sure that if I cancel the subscription my account will revert to the free version, and I won’t be locked out.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

You will still have access to your account but paid features will no longer work when you downgrade: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496277302157-Change-or-cancel-your-Zapier-plan

I don’t work for Zapier so looping in @ken.a for anything to add re: access concerns after downgrading a plan.