Question

Inconsistent Zapier task count for Excel to Airtable import

• 30 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello!

I have been testing out Zapier for a new order management app. Yesterday, I uploaded 147 rows with about 5 mapped columns from Excel into Zapier through my Zap. It showed that I had used 147 tasks (makes sense). Anyways, I then ran some tests after a few hours, and about 5 new rows were added throughout that course of time. I manually added one new row to the Excel spreadsheet, and deleted 2 previously imported rows from Airtable (app I am dumping info into) to see if they would be ported back in through my new update (so, likely 8 new rows total being imported). The Zap ran and it failed so I had to replay it and after I did that it said I had used 120 tasks?

I am quite confused as to what counts as a task… Each individual mapped cell? Each row? For example, does it count A:2, A:3, A:4, A:5, and A:6 all as one individual task or is row 2 = 1 task, row 3 = 1 task, etc.? Would like to understand why this happened. Thanks!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @clairehunter 

Good question.

Help article about how tasks are counted: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496196837261

Badge

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

I have read this article in the past. It has still left me wondering whether in an Excel sheet each individual cell is counted or each individual row? I would assume it is each individual row. Then, a question would be posed, why did it cost me 120 tasks for a mere 8 rows added? Thanks for the help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @clairehunter 

Check your Zap Runs history to see your Zap Task Usage: https://zapier.com/app/history/

We would need to see screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined.

Badge

@Troy Tessalone

I understand that. It says “New Row”. Why did it cost me 120 tasks when I only added 8 rows.

I also only have one action. Forgot to mention, I apologize. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@clairehunter 

Your Zap trigger is: Excel - Updated Row

Per the Excel Zap trigger description it will fire when a row is ADDED or UPDATED in a worksheet.

If you only want it to trigger for NEW rows, then you would need to change the Zap trigger to: Excel - New Row