Best answer

I need the Jira tickets status update automatically but I can't set "Key" parameter to work dynamically.

• 12 May 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Everyone,

What I am trying to automate is, when I get a new ticket in Jira, I want Zapier to update the ticket status to “in review”. But I want to do this action only when the issueType: Fraud. 

Therefore, I have created trigger as Jira new ticket and added a filter if issueType: Fraud;

Then I created “Update Issue” action in Jira. Ideally, I want to get every tickets actioned as long as they can pass Filter step. So, here is Issue(required) field and it only allows me to choose Key: POW-1 

But I want this field dynamically populated from the tickets that can pass Filter step. Basically I don’t want to select or specify any existing ticket, it can be any ticket as long as the issueType Name = Fraud. 

In zapier chatGPT, it says there should be fields like Key: or ID: without a value. But in my case these fields always comes with a value like Key: POW-1 and ID: 10004 which is already specified. 

Could you please help me, how can I overcome this problem?

icon

Best answer by SamB 5 June 2024, 15:47

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hey @Asel ,

Kindly map this field on Zapier and let me know if that works.

Userlevel 1

@jayeshkumarbhatia  thank you for your answer, but that ID 10004 doesn’t catch the new tickets because that id 10004 is associated with a particular ticket. 

See, in the first “New Issue” zap, Test section brings some issue classification like issue A, issue B etc. I have total 6 Fraud ticket goes like POW-1, POW-2, …, POW-6. First zap attaches each ticket as an issue in the test section;

See this is issue A, you can see Key:POW-1 and ID:10004. And now I’ll show you another issue with another key and ID;

As you can see here the Issue F and ID:10007 and Key: POW-4.

If I add fields like Key:POW-1 or ID:10004 in the action section of 3rd zap, I automate only and specifically these particular tickets. However, I wish all Fraud tickets get actioned regardless their POW number or ID.

In the first zap, why do I have to choose a record among my tickets in the Test section to continue? 

​​​​​​​

Userlevel 1

@christina.d 

I am doing an automation for a big company and this is blocking everything that I need to do. Sorry for tagging you directly, kindly, would you be able to advise on this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Asel 👋

Sorry we missed your message here previously, @christina.d no longer works at Zapier. I expect you’ve already got this figured out but I wanted to help clarify things here in case you or anyone else following this thread is in need of an answer! 🙂 

So, here is Issue(required) field and it only allows me to choose Key: POW-1 
But I want this field dynamically populated from the tickets that can pass Filter step. Basically I don’t want to select or specify any existing ticket, it can be any ticket as long as the issueType Name = Fraud

For the Issue field in the Update Issue action you were correct in selecting the Key field from the trigger, instead of the ID field. Selecting the Key field from the trigger will ensure that the value supplied (from the trigger) to the Issue field in the Update Issue action will change dynamically to match the issue key of the Jira issue that triggers the Zap, assuming it passes the filter that is:
8a68d996e4cd639976d8ffd46da1f7be.png

In the first zap, why do I have to choose a record among my tickets in the Test section to continue? 

This is to allow you to select the relevant fields from the issue record. Sometimes the default test record for an app will have different fields to the ones supplied in test record for a real record so it’s best to select a test record with real data. You can learn more about test records here: Change the test record in your Zap trigger

Hope that helps to clarify. If there’s anything else we can assist with at all please do let us know! 

Userlevel 1

Hi @SamB  

Thank you for your detailed response. 👍🏻
We jumped in a call with @jayeshkumarbhatia and the issue has been resolved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You’re most welcome @Asel! Glad to hear @jayeshkumarbhatia was able to help get things resolved 🙂

Please do reach out to the Community again if you run into any further issues or questions. In the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡