Best answer

I am receiving an error for my zap handeling outlook attachements during testing

Userlevel 1

I have a very easy zap running:

Step 1: When a new mail arrives

Step 2: Filter: Only let email come through from a specific address

Step 3: Send a new email, with specific subject / body AND include the attachements from step 1.

The attachement property is configured like this:

The error I get at step 3 is:

While requesting "dev_file" from Microsoft Outlook we ran into an error: Cannot read property 'contentBytes' of undefined

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 8 January 2024, 19:44

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @JNacho 

Some thing to check…

The mapped variable for Files is a file object, which is a temp file that expires after some time.

You may need to refresh the Zap trigger examples to get fresh data to test with.

Also, the Files variable may have multiple files, but the Attachment field may only expect 1 file.

Userlevel 1

Hi @JNacho 

Some thing to check…

The mapped variable for Files is a file object, which is a temp file that expires after some time.

You may need to refresh the Zap trigger examples to get fresh data to test with.

Also, the Files variable may have multiple files, but the Attachment field may only expect 1 file.

I am in control of the test itself. The message only has one attachement and will only have one attachement.

The way this is forced is for example by filtering out messages that come from a specific address. From that address I know there is only one file in the attached message. IF (and I know there is not) are more attachements, I expect zapier to ZIP it like it does with other connectors.

I have refreshed several times and this does not change anything. When testing OR when “running” the errors stay the same. A connector Zapier claims that runs does not work either and has the same issue:

The question is more:

What variable do I need to use from a new outlook email trigger if I want to do something with the attachements of that email, because the variable “Files” is currently giving issues. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JNacho 

Looks like you may be using an older version of the Outlook Zap app, so it’s best practice to update to the newest Zap app version.

Userlevel 1

@JNacho

Looks like you may be using an older version of the Outlook Zap app, so it’s best practice to update to the newest Zap app version.

Hi Troy, the “version” you mention is the one you get if you click on the one Zapier themself recommend. The one from the original zap that has the issue looks like this:

Here is that same ZAP when I am in editing mode:

The issue still exist with both versions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JNacho 

You can try duplicating the Zap to see if that solves the issue?

An alternative would be to use this Zap trigger: Gmail - New Attachment

Userlevel 1

@JNacho

You can try duplicating the Zap to see if that solves the issue?

An alternative would be to use this Zap trigger: Gmail - New Attachment

If my business is running on office 365, gmail will not be the answer. I would require zapier to check why an email that has an attachement (proof below) does not have any files in it when using it dedicated variable, as something is clearly wrong.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JNacho 

You can try opening a ticket with Zapier Support for further assistance troubleshooting: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 1

@JNacho

You can try opening a ticket with Zapier Support for further assistance troubleshooting: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

I have created a support case, will post an update here if the error is user related.

Userlevel 1

@Troy, thanks for the feedback, appreciate that I had someone try to help within 24 hours :)

Userlevel 1

Out of transparency if anyone else has the issue, Microsoft flows, the in house solution has the same issue. There I had to use an action called: forward email that specifically forwards the email. It is a workaround until for sending the email, but I still need to find a way to handle the individual attachment.