Best answer

Hubspot form with custom fields

• 8 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I'm using zaiper to trigger on a form submission to send it to a custom object in hubspot via a hubspot form.

If I use the 'create form submission' module it doesn't seem to play nice with the non-contact object fields, despite the hubspot form working correctly.

Similarly when I try to use the 'API request' module to POST this data, I'm getting an error regarding domain names (the forms url is: api.hsforms.com/ and its expecting: api.hubapi.com)

hubspot forms api docs

I would like to try and avoid leveraging ‘raw’ API calls to hubspot to avoid the overhead with finding the object first.

Does any one have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 8 December 2023, 01:56

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ohcbg 

Good question.

To give us true context, please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Thank you for getting back to me,

For the form submission module (I’m using Jotform submission as the trigger and to populate the hubspot form fields):

I’m pointing it towards a Hubspot form that has Contact fields and Custom Object fields. This form works when using it directly. I’m able to update the Custom Object as it has a unique field and this is being passed in the form. 

When running this, Hubspot receives the Contact Fields, but not the Custom Object fields. Using the API, you pass an object like below, with the objectTypeId indicating the object type. While the fields are being shown in zapier, I wonder if its accounting for the field types correctly

"fields": [{
"objectTypeId": "0-1",
"name": "address",
"value": "123 fake street"
}, {
"objectTypeId": "2-113688572",
"name": "postcode",
"value": "123Nope"
}]

For the API request Beta module:

I’ve included content-type headers and a tested json object (with the form fields mapped) as the payload:

Although with an error like below, I’m assuming this domain/entypoint isn’t allowed with this module (although it would be really nice if it was):

Please let me know if I’ve missed something or you’d like to see something specific.

The workfllow I’m currently testing doesn’t rely on zapier (Exporting the jotform source, hosting it on a hubspot landing page and hijacking the javascript action to post to api.hsforms.com endpoint) but this is messy and requires mapping the fields in an awkward way - Using zapier would be much more approachable if possible!

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ohcbg 

The HubSpot Forms API is different from the HubSpot CRM API, which is why you get the error.

Try one of these other approaches:

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone Thank you Troy, I had looked at but was originally put off by the webhook module due to only providing support for basic auth, but testing the Python module (which would also work)  I realised my other calls wernt using authentication anyway.

This is now working using the ‘Custom Request’ webhook module and passing it a JSON object built following this these docs.

Thank you again!