Question

HTML to Markdown Zapier Formatter adding random line breaks

• 5 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Hey!

I’ve noticed a really annoying bug (or it seems to be) with the ‘HTML to Markdown’ Zapier Formatter.

When feeding HTML into the formatter, it continue to outputs the Markdown which I use for post automation with LinkedIn/Facebook- but I noticed it adds random line breaks throughout the copy. (see below)

After investigation, I noticed these “random” line breaks actually mirror exactly how the Formatter outputs it’s example when running a test. (see below)

This means the formatter is adding additional line breaks after the words;

• product
  • removing
  • and
  • want

...as well has a 3 random [spaces] at the end of every paragraph or empty line.
(you’ll be able to see this within the markup output at the bottom)

Annoying, right? Has anyone else noticed this or found a solution to the bug? or have I missed something here.

The HTML fed through the formatter...

👋  Are you a Wrike user?<br />&#x1f680;  It&#39;s T-Minus 3 days until we launch Wrikified for all Wrike users, a product we&#39;ve design and built...<br /><br />Wrikified simplifies and improves task output for Wrike users, by removing excess features from the project management software, giving you a clean and simple interface. Built for production individuals and teams who just want beautiful Wrike tasks.<br /><br />Want to know more?<br /><br />#wrike #projectmanagement #taskmanagement #launch #producthunt<br />

with the Markup output…

👋 Are you a Wrike user?  
🚀 It's T-Minus 3 days until we launch Wrikified for all Wrike users, a product
we've design and built...

Wrikified simplifies and improves task output for Wrike users, by removing
excess features from the project management software, giving you a clean and
simple interface. Built for production individuals and teams who just want
beautiful Wrike tasks.

Want to know more?

#wrike #projectmanagement #taskmanagement #launch #producthunt

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ChrisWatterston 

Good question.

If you have a Zapier paid plan, you can try reporting this issue via a ticket to Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/connections

You may want to try adding another step: Formatter > Text > Trim Whitespace

Thanks @Troy Tessalone - I’ll give support a shot!

Trim Whitespace only acts on the start and end of a string (not within), although I did try to no success.

Cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ChrisWatterston 

A Code step can be configured to do the conversion of HTML to Markup.

You may want to try asking ChatGPT for that code.

@ChrisWatterston , I found your post because I was having the exact same issue. Apparently we’re the only two people that have voiced frustration over this. I was able to solve my issue though, and detailed it here:
https://1radwebsite.com/zapier-formatter-hates-google-docs/

Hope this helps you, if you still need it :) - Mark w/ RAD Websites