Question

How to use Updated File in Google Drive trigger when the file was created for another zap

• 19 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I have a Zap that creates a google drive folder and a google doc and shares it to 2 people.

I'd like to make an automation that when one of those 2 people update the file, the other one receives an email.

The problem is, when starting a Zap with the trigger Updated File in Google Drive, I can only set up a unique folder that already exists, not being able to make it run for the folders to be created by the original Zap.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Zadal 

As you said, in the Trigger for Updated File in Google Drive, you need to specify the folder, so there would be no way around that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Zadal 

Good question.

GDocs supports comments.

If the users @mention each other in the comments, then they should get email notifications from Google about the comments.

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/65129?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

Hi @Zadal 

As you said, in the Trigger for Updated File in Google Drive, you need to specify the folder, so there would be no way around that. 

It has to be a way… I'm Brazilian ad we have a saying: "I'm Brazilian and I never quit". 

Hi @Zadal 

Good question.

GDocs supports comments.

If the users @mention each other in the comments, then they should get email notifications from Google about the comments.

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/65129?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

Hi @Troy Tessalone , thanks for taking your time to help me. As a matter o fact, I've tried this, and my users found this very difficult to do. They are not tech savvy to say the least. That's why I'm trying a simpler approach for them.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @Zadal 

Just as MohSwellam mentioned, I’m afraid there’s no way around this. The “Updated File” in Google Drive only triggers when a file is updated in a specific folder (but not its subfolders).