Skip to main content

Hey Zap Team! 

I am a bit confused around the solution proposed in this forum: https://community.zapier.com/how-do-i-3/formula-how-to-increase-a-number-per-1-1-16774

I read this as an individual trying to increment a current excel/google sheets value by +1 everytime an action occurs.

However, my problem is:
1.If the current lookup value is a static (non custom) "0" in Cell G2 “Priority Urgent Tickets” - entered manually before the zaps on to create a lookup value. 
2.And the formatter takes place to increment "0" to "1" in Cell G2
3.And then the zap is turned on, wont the zap fail because upon a new action “ticket” because it reads the lookup value as the static/previous "0" and not the current (incremented value) of "1"?

How do I use the lookup value to read the current value in the cell and not the previous value??

I am trying to keep a running count in one cell of all tickets submitted by a specific customer, so ticket count could be as great as 1,000-1,500 tickets a year. So I need to always be adding +1 to the current count when a new ticket comes in.

Thanks,

Hi @NovoPath 

Try this Zap action: Storage - Increment Value

Store help: https://zapier.com/apps/storage/help

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

I will look into this and get back to you! How does this solve the lookup issue? It seems the issue of using the current value (Incremented value) as the lookup value will be ever existent since I need to always find row before updating row? 

FYI my steps are

1.New Ticket from Zendesk 

2.Find row in excel by column “priority urgent tickets” 

3.Find current value in row 

4.Increment value by +1

Thus, when zap is on, every ticket submitted would increment current value by +1

Thanks, 

@NovoPath 

If you are trying to update an existing spreadsheet row, then you will need to use a Lookup Column and Lookup Value that corresponds with the Customer ID and/or the Account Name.

Hey @Troy Tessalone , 

I believe I understand this, but at the end of my zap the lookup value always changes per the incrementer. 

So orignal lookup value could be 0 

When a new ticket comes in incrementer will adjust the value from 0 to 1. So everytime a new ticket comes in then, my zap will fail in theory because it looks at “0” instead of the current value “1”. 

Hoping I made sense there, 

@NovoPath 

EXAMPLE

If you are trying to update the spreadsheet row with Customer ID = 0015e…

The Zap action: Excel - Find Row would use Lookup Column = Customer ID and Lookup Value = 0015e…

That will return the current data from the matching row.

Then you can use the Formatter > Numbers > Perform Math Operation to ADD the current value and a value of 1. (e.g. 0 + 1 = 1)

The you use the Zap action: Excel - Update Row to update the row using the Row ID to set the new column value.

@Troy Tessalone 

Oh my stars, for the life of me, I thought that finding rows had to be column associated, so vertical lookups as opposed to horizontal. Jeez o peetz! 

It worked! 

Thank you so much sir,