Question

How does "Update Spreadsheet Row(s)" in Google Sheets work?

• 24 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m confused about this action, which I think is relatively new. It says, “Update one or more rows in a specific spreadsheet (with line item support)”, which sounds great, but then in the set up it requires you to pick ONE row to update. 

I have tried entering a range (2-4), which creates an error saying that no data (row) was found that matched. I have tried entering the rows with commas separating (2,3,4), which results in it updating row 234 (I got the same result when I tried entering the rows with spaces separating them). 

Is there something that I’m missing here? How does this action update multiple rows?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @AshleighDLC 

Good question.

Help article about using line items in Zaps: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/use-line-items-in-zaps

Data needs to be an array of line items.

Check out Formatter > Utilities > Line Item options

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Did you find an answer to this? Troy’s answer is unfortunately not helpful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @xavierB and @AshleighDLC!

I’ll do my best to explain this in more detail for you. 

Your data needs to be in line item format to use the Update Spreadsheet Row(s) action for Google Sheets. Line items are subsets of data, there’s a video in this help doc that explains them really well: Create line items in Zaps

For your example @AshleighDLC, you would need the row numbers to be line items. In the Zap this will look like a list of row numbers with commas in between them, but the way that the data is structured is different. 

If you currently have a list of row numbers, you can convert them into line items using Formatter by Zapier.  Use the Text to Line-item transform:

• In the Set up action section, click the Transform dropdown menu and select Text to Line-item.
  • In the Values section, click the Input field and select a trigger field with information formatted as comma-separated values (e.g., “apples,bananas,oranges”).
  • Click Continue.

You’ll need to do that for each bit of data that you want to add to the rows (eg for each column in the sheet). 

​I hope that helps, please let us know if you have any questions!