Best answer

How do I add a new field or change an existing field in a Sub-Zap?

• 11 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have an existing sub-zap.  When I try to rename a field or create a new field, I have trouble getting the updated or new field to appear in the zap that calls the sub-zap.  Sometimes it works and other times it doesn’t and I can’t figure out why.

For example, I added a new field called “assignedAMName” to my sub-zap.

I then did the following:

1. Went back to the Zap that calls the Sub-Zap, and retested that Zap.
  2. Went to the sub-zap and reloaded the data and then tested each step, through to the return step
  3. Went back to the Zap that calls the Sub-Zap and new field is not there.

Has anyone else had this problem, or know the correct sequence of steps to add a field to a sub-zap? So far the most reliable way I’ve found to do add or change field in a Sub-Zap is to duplicate the Sub-Zap, add /change the fields, and then replace the Call a Sub-Zap in the main Zap using the new version of the sub-zap.

icon

Best answer by asg3 14 June 2023, 21:25

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @asg3! 👋

I just did some testing in one of my own Zaps that uses a Sub-Zap and I think you’ll need to click the Refresh fields button after testing the Zap: 

c16b0fd116f9fec48d92c547a76866b9.png

Clicking that button loads any new fields for me. So it looks like the steps would need to be: 

1. Add the new input/Argument List field in the Sub-Zap. 
  2. Test the Sub-Zap to load in a new sample.
  3. Go back to the Zap that calls the Sub-Zap and click the Refresh fields button (as shown above).

Can you give that a try and confirm whether that gets the new field appearing as hoped? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

This did not work for me. I suspected it might have something to do with versions, with the new field on the latest version but the calling zap pointing to the prior version. First I tried turning off the calling and sub zaps but that didn’t work. So then I published the sub-zap and when I refreshed the fields in the calling zap, the field appeared. Then I unpublished the sub-zap so I could finish testing. Seems more convoluted than it needs to be.

But thanks for your input….I wouldn’t have got here without it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ahh, interesting. Thanks for sharing how you were able to get this resolved and sharing your feedback!

Glad you were able to get this up and running. 🎉

Userlevel 1
Badge

In summary...This is the way I add fields to a sub-zap that is already published:

1. Edit the sub-zap
  2. Add or change the fields
  3. Publish the sub-zap
  4. Edit the main zap
  5. Refresh the fields in the calling zap
  6. Add the values to the new fields
  7. Test the calling zap
  8. Edit the sub-zap
  9. Incorporate the new fields into the sub-zap
  10. Finish testing
  11. Publish the sub-zap and the calling zap