Skip to main content

I just started with paths and i have a record called Affiliate that is populated from a form with one of two words, Affiliate or Ally. I have set up a zap that is triggered when a record is updated. I find that record and return the correct information. The record that is returned has Affiliate in the Affiliate record. As I step through the zap it automatically runs to the Ally branch. I have a statement that says If it is not exactly Ally reject it. As you can see the window supports that. How do I get it to try the other branch which asks if the Variable is Affiliate and runs down that branch? I have set up the same query on the Affiliate branch that continues if Affiliate Exactly matches Affiliate. Right now it just runs down the Ally path and stops

Hi @Marye,

After reviewing the Paths setup, it seems that everything is set up correctly. Could you please provide more details about the issue you’re experiencing?

Also, have you tried publishing the Zap and triggering the Zap while it’s turned on to see the full Zap in action.

I'll be keeping an eye out for your response!

Hi @Marye 

Looks like each Path Filter is using a different “Affiliate” variable, one from Step 1 and one from Step 2.

Good catch Troy. Thank you both for your response. I made the change to the variable and it is still doing the same thing. I only know how to trigger the zap by editing it and stepping through the steps. Is there another way to trigger it on a specific record? I did publish it. I read about webhooks and such but I don't think that applies here.

The problem - When I step through with a record that has Affiliate in the variable it automatically goes down the Ally side and goes to the email step, I choose a record that has a variable set to Affiliate. I have set up the email to respond with True or False and currently it send me a False email. It doesn’t redirect to the Affiliate option??

@Marye 

We would need to see updated screenshots with how your Zap Filter step conditions are configured.

Is this what you are looking for?

@Marye 

Current filter conditions are checking against data points from Step 1.

If you want the filter conditions to check against data points from Step 2, then you would need to make those adjustments.

Check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each step to help you trace the data flow and troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

We would need to see screenshots of the DATA IN/OUT for the Filter steps to have more info.

Here are 3 more screen shots.

I changed the filter condition to choose the Step 2 data points. Not OLD not NEW.

In Path Conditions, Why is it returning Old Data Affiliate when the filter is not pointing there. I did try changing it to Old Data in the Path condition so it output both coming from Old Data but it still kept going down Path A

Still doesn’t work. Since i haven’t got it to work, Is the focus suppose to change to the B path (Affiliate) when it encounters the Ally conditions as negative? How and when does it move to Path B?

@Marye 

Looks like the Zap Filter steps are using the “OLD DATA” for the condition comparison.

You’ll want to make sure it uses the “NEW DATA” for the condition comparison.

When in doubt, test it out.

Check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each step to help you trace the data flow and troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Got it

😀

Thanks so much and I am learning.

I am using this to sort my leads by category Affiliate/Ally. Then input them as a contact into Constant Contact and Hubspot. I know I have to test whether they are existing contacts then run them through and update/new contact path for both.

Since I am new and don’t like reinventing the wheel, are there any places I can look to get an existing zap that someone has built and just customize it to my table? It would seem that this must have been done by a ton of people already. Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help

@Marye 

Help link for using Paths in Zaps: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496288555917

Most Zaps are customize to the user’s requirements.

There are 7,500+ Zap apps, let alone each Zap app has 1+ triggers/actions, so the possible permutations is unlimited.