Question

Help! Trying to sign into my hellosign/dropbox sign account and getting an unauthorized user error!

• 14 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello!

I’m admittedly new to using Zapier but the connection I’m trying to make is by no means complicated. 

Looking to integrate my hellosign aka dropbox sign with my wix account so that when someone purchases a ticket, they get sent a waiver.

Signed into + connected wix account - check

Created the automation in the backend of wix to be able to select in zapier - check

Tested - check

Next step, sign into and connect hellosign account - returning error code ‘UNAUTHORIZED USER’ - 

1. Make sure you click "Allow" or "Accept" on the permission popup
  2. Double check your Account has the correct permissions
  3. Check out our help docs for more information

There hasn’t been a popup to allow or accept. In checking the permissions, hellosign claims to integrate seamlessly with zapier regardless of the plan type…

What gives, what am I missing?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Mary Frances! Thanks for reaching out in community. I’m sorry to hear you’re running into this error. 😔

It’s likely you’re running into a bug but wanted to double check - do you have 2-Factor Authentication (2FA) turned on for your Hellosign account? Alternatively when you originally signed up for your account did you do so using a username/password or via Google sign in? 

In the interest of full transparency though, this app has 2 long standing bugs and knowing this will help us determine which one you’re being impacted by.

Thanks so much and we’ll keep an eye out for your response!

Userlevel 1

Hi Christina! 

Thank you for the quick response, I appreciate it so much. 2FA is not turned on & I tried signing in multiple ways; using Google sign in, that not working, signing out & signing back in with my actual username & password. I even used multiple different browsers thinking it might be a Safari problem but I ran into the same issue using Chrome as well. 

I hope this information helps but I am also not married to using Hello Sign, it was simply the one that was said to be best for freelancers after researching multiple platforms. If you have other suggestions of platforms that work & integrate better, I am all ears. 

Thank you for your time!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Oof! Thanks for being so thorough as it helps us narrow down what could be the issue. I went ahead and added ya as an impacted user on that bug. While I wish I had an ETA on a fix, the truth is this app is owned and maintained by the Dropbox Sign team and as I mentioned it’s a longstanding bug. 😔 We’ll definitely let ya know if anything changes though and be sure to update this thread. 

As far as alternatives, here’s a list of some of the signature apps we offer. I don’t have a ton of familiarity with any specific app but will say DocuSign is a common one and there is a limited free plan - looks like they include 3 signatures requests a month before needing to upgrade.

I hope some of this helps and thanks again for joining the Zapier community! 🧡

Userlevel 1

I ran into the same problem of not being able to Authorize Dropbox Sign as a new “app” in Zapier because I always logged into it via my Dropbox user account. My regular Dropbox email and password don’t seem to work for logging into Dropbox Sign. (I guess it’s still controlled by Hello Sign?)

Here’s what worked… Sign OUT of both Dropbox and Dropbox Sign (HelloSign). Then on the DB Sign login page, choose to log in via an email address….

UPDATE: On the Dropbox Sign (HelloSign) login page, use any INCORRECT email address at the login screen. This will get the “forgot password” prompt. When you click that, now you enter your CORRECT regular Dropbox email address and have DBSign send you a password reset to that email address. When you get that email, you are basically “changing” your DBSign/HelloSign account to use the same exact password as your regular Dropbox login password.

You have to think of Dropbox and DB Sign as 2 separate apps - with 2 separate user accounts. You need a separate login account for DB Sign in order to hook up Zapier. It can be the same email & pwd as Dropbox. But you have to trick DBSign into letting you create a “new” user account. Then you can link them together.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Oh wow, this is super helpful @Neil! Thank you so much for sharing it here - very much appreciated! 🙌🏽

@Neil YES I knew it was the problem, thought I was stuck in the transition as they worked out the cross-app login, with my old password stuck on the original hellosign, but didn’t think of that workaround, brilliant!

And it worked, btw. Now zapping away!

Update: …. and then I realize it’s $100/mo for API access on Dropbox. (grumbles)