Skip to main content

So, I’ve been using the Wordpress legacy version since forever for my self-hosted website. It was working perfectly and why I’ve never seriously tried to use the newer Wordpress app/connection… until near the end of July 2024 when I suddenly started getting emails regarding Zapier errors because the legacy version has been suddenly depreciated. Yes yes, I just found the email warning about the depreciations, so fine then, I’ll move if I have to.

Now the problem is that I’ve been trying for hours now, and I just can’t get it to re/connect to my Wordpress account. Whenever I try to connect my account (and I assure you I input my username/password/website correctly everytime), I keep getting this relatively unhelpful error message:

. Everything I’ve already tried:

• Turning off all the plugins that I think might cause a problem and what you guys suggested (Jetpack, Akismet, Stop Spammers, Wordfence Security)
  • I’ve installed the Zapier plugin for Wordpress
  • Saw somewhere that I should disable my Wordpress.com Two-factor
  • Added Zapier to Cloudflare’s Security > WAF > Custom Rules, though I’m unsure if I set it up correctly since what you guys suggested is for a depreciated feature of Cloudflare.
  • Tried logging in using my email instead of username

Anything else I missed that I could try? I’ve never seen the permission pop-up anywhere.

It is annoying since the legacy version was working perfectly, and I might have to give up on Zapier/Wordpress entirely if I can’t get this to work.

I saw somewhere that this should be filed as a bug report or something? Should I do that as well?

Hi there @Lazylonewolf,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Before we dig deeper into this, could you please try creating a new WordPress connection. You can create a new connection by clicking on the “Add new connection” in the “Apps"
page here: https://zapier.com/app/connections

Kindly give it a try and let me know how it goes? I'll keep an eye out for your response!

@ken.a I just gave it a try again and it still doesn’t work like my original post says.

Thanks for giving that a try @Lazylonewolf!

Could you please try these instructions provided by WordPress:

• Wordpress.com login passwords won’t work, as apparently, the site’s password is different from the user's password.
  • In the Default View of the Users page, the options to manually set a user password and create an application password aren’t visible.
  • So, you need to switch to the Classic View:
    ?name=image001.png
  • From there, you can either:
    • Set a new password (which counts as a site password and not a user password for some reason), or
    • Create an application password for Zapier.

Kindly give it a try and let me know how it goes? I'll keep an eye out for your response!

@ken.a It looks a bit different than what you provided (because it’s self-hosted and not hosted on Wordpress.com I think), but I opened up my own User profile page and noticed Application Passwords somewhere in there. Since I was using Wordfence, it automatically disabled application passwords, but I re-enabled it then promptly made a new application password for Zapier.

Well what do you know, it worked! There’s NOTHING anywhere about this from what I’ve been searching, nor would I ever think to look in my user page for this.

I’ve already retested the connection a couple of times and did some test posting in Discord and it’s working properly. Thank you so much!

But for the love of god, please, someone at Zapier should add what you just told me when making a connection to Wordpress.

That’s awesome @Lazylonewolf! I’m glad I was able to help!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗