Question

Google Spreadsheet value is not recognized from custom value

Hi there!

I’ve integrated my Bubble.io app with Google Sheets.

I have 2 zaps:

The first one creates a spreadsheet when a user signups into my app. As a result, I store the spreadsheet value in that user. Everything is great at this point.

The second zap is triggered by the user when they create a special account in Bubble. The following steps are:
1. Zapier looks up for the spreadsheet (I already have that id in the user).
2. Zapier looks up for a sheet with the name “Sheet2”, which is the same for all the created spreadsheets. It returns the Sheet’s ID.
3. Zapier looks up for the column called “Account ID” that it’s in this sheet (is always the first column) and if a row contains the value “No account”, then picks that row.
4. Zapier updates that row with information from the account the user created in Bubble and that triggered the zap.

When I create the zap and test it, everything works as expected an the row of the spreadsheet is updated.

But when I push it to live and trigger the event from my app, I get the following error:

The problem is that when I test it, it works. But when it’s live, it gets this error.

Anyone faced this problem or know how to solve it?

Thanks a lot!!

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Leo Q 

For us to have context about the error, we would need to see screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured in EDIT mode for the ‘Action’ section.

Hi @Troy Tessalonethank you very much for your response.

Here is the entire process after the event is triggered by Bubble:

1. Find the worksheet, using the value of the spreadsheet that was created in the previous zap and that was stored in the Bubble user. The title of the sheet will be always the same. In the second picture of this point you can see where the spreadsheet id is got from.

2. Find the first row of that sheet (top to bottom) where the column Account ID has the value “no account”.
    To map the Spreadsheet I used the same custom value I used before (Image 2 of this point).
    To map the Sheet I used the value I got from the previuos step (Image 3 of this point)

3. Update the the mapped row and add values from the Bubble app (I need to update the Account ID for example).

I get the spreadsheet Id from the same custom value I used before

I use the value I got when looked up for the Sheet

I use the Row Id I got from the previous step
    I update the values with data from the original trigger

The problem emerges from the first step, when the spreadsheet is looked up. I hope this images help you understand the steps I took.

Thanks a lot!​​​​​​​

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Leo Q 

To troubleshoot, check your Zap Runs history details to see the DATA IN/OUT for each step to help you trace the data flow: https://zapier.com/app/history/

I used that option. Also the AI helper but I don’t understand what’s happening. What puzzles me most is that when I test it, it runs correctly and updates my real sheet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Leo Q 

Error seems to indicate the variable mapped to the Spreadsheet field had no value.

We would need to see screenshots of the DATA IN for the Zap Run Step 2 that encountered the error.

You may need to add a Filter step to prevent the error, by checking if the variable value mapped to that field exists.

This is the information. It should be getting the value the zap got from the trigger. Instead of getting the value itself, it gets that strange value

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Leo Q 

Check your Zap trigger step DATA OUT to see if the mapped variable in Step 2 had a value in Step 1.

When you see {{variable}} instead of a value, it means the mapped value was missing a value or was an invalid variable.

As far as I could understand, the first step returns the correct data, but when parsing to the next step, it changes.

Data from the first step

Data injected into the second step

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Leo Q 

You may need to do custom pill mapping because it looks like perhaps the data returned when configuring and testing the Zap step from Bubble is different from the structure of the LIVE data that comes thru when the Zap is ON.

Try mapping this value:

{{236246307__Spreadsheet_ID)}

Here’s why...

From Step 1, the variable has a label of: Spreadsheet ID

In Step 2, the mapped variable has a variable label of: spreadsheet id text

NOTE: The ID at the start indicates the Zap step. (e.g. Step 1 ID)

Thank you very much, that was helpful. I could get the correct data using pill mapping, but it triggers another error when I try to update the of the row in the sheet.

It throws the same problem, but when I tried to map it, it didn’t work. The image below shows the output of the previous step without Pill Mapping

Result without Pill Mapping

Then I implemented Pill Mapping, but it didn’t work. The fields in Bubble are called subcategory for Column D and description for Column I.

Result with Pill Mapping

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Leo Q,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

You will need to make sure they have walked through the setup documented here: https://manual.bubble.io/core-resources/bubble-made-plugins/zapier#set-up-in-bubble

Especially relevant for this issue, you’ll want to follow Step 3 of the Data API setup:

Check the Use field display instead of ID for key names to avoid an issue causing a discrepancy between the test trigger data and live data within Zapier.

Once you do this, you’ll need to grab a new sample in the trigger, then remap the fields.

Hopefully, this helps!