Skip to main content
Best answer

Google Sheets to Google Calendar - some fields not showing

• 8 August 2024
  • 9 replies

I have a Zap from Google Sheets to google calendar. Every time a row is created or changed, it creates a calendar event. About half the time it works fine, the other half time it misses copying over certain fields (columns). It tends to be the same fields that get missed. 

When I check the zap history the missing fields appear in the zap history but not in the actual calendar. I have asked support several times. They just tell me to refresh the connection which I have done and it's not helping.

One theory I have is that because these fields are generated from a formula, they take a second to populate and the zap is triggered before that happens. However, it seems unlikely to me that Google Sheets can’t run the lookup before the Zap is executed. Also, if this were the case, I wouldn’t expect it to show in Zap history.

Hi @Shawn_L 

For us to have more info, post these screenshots:

• how your Zap steps are outlined and configured in EDIT mode
  • the DATA IN/OUT for Zap steps in a Zap Run that had the issue

Thanks Troy. 
Please see screenshots. Kindly confirm I sent the right thing.

I should also note that this zap has been running for years without issues. Only in the last couple months did this problem come up and I haven’t made any changes either to the spreadsheet or zap.

@Shawn_L 

Can you show screenshots of the DATA OUT tab?

Also, check the Logs tab for clues as that shows the underlying actual API request/response.

Sorry for the delay. Here is the Data Out. Everything looks normal there. You can see the city and the line items (circled in red). Yet those do not appear in the Google Calendar (The output of the zap). The other fields copied over correctly. (Black box is personal info I’m redacting).

As far as I can tell the logs show the correct info. 

There was one I guess failed attempt at GET but I assume that’s a red herring (screenshot also attached)

@Shawn_L 

If you see the value in the DATA IN, then it should be sent to GCal.

Things to check:

• Are you look at the correct GCal Calendar?
  • Is there another automation ON that is creating an Event or modifying the Event?
  • The GCal step DATA OUT will return the GCal Event ID
    • Make sure you find the same GCal Event in GCal by using the Event ID to match what is in the browser URL when viewing the Event in GCal
  • The GCal Zap step is find Event else create Event
    • Perhaps an existing GCal Event is being found
      • Check the DATA OUT for the variable that include “found” which will have a value of true/false
        • If true, then an existing Event was found
        • If false, then a new Event was created
  • You could try adding another Zap step: GCal - Update Event

@Shawn_L 

Can you post updated screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured in EDIT mode for us to have current context?

Thank you so much for your help Troy! It turns out I was running a seperate Update Zap. The two zaps somehow caused interference with each other causing the data loss. When I added the update step to the existing zap the problem went away. I don’t know why I had it configured that way in the first place! Thank you again for your help!

That’s awesome @Shawn_L! We’re glad to hear that you found the culprit of the issue.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗