I’ve noticed in a few Zaps that when I used the New or Updated Row trigger for Google Sheets that the Updated Row trigger is inconsistent.
Specifically, it doesn’t seem to fire when the contents of an existing cell are changed, especially it’s a dropdown menu.
Here’s my use case:
- Tracking spreadsheet of new documentation
- As updates are finished they’re added to the sheet
- However, they only publish once every week or two, so the new/updated articles are on hold
- A trigger column in the sheet with different statuses:
- Wait for publishing
- Done (updated by the Zap once it’s successfull)
- Intended trigger is when the row is updated and the trigger column switches to Go!
- I have an exact match filter as step 1 after the trigger
In looking at the Zap history, updates to existing cells in the row aren’t triggering the zap. It’s not a filter issue, the Zap run is never starting. If I type in another column, that net new content in the row usually triggers things, but not if i change the content in an existing cell.
Any tips for how I can do this? Do I just need to change my trigger process?
Best answer by Troy TessaloneView original
Using GSheets in Zaps has quite a few limitations to be aware of.
If you have not done so yet, I recommend reading thru the available help articles:
This may be why...
The "Updated Spreadsheet Row" trigger stopped triggering
If you're watching for changes to a column, we only see new values in that column. If you update the column of an existing row to a value that Zapier previously saw in that column, in that row, we won't see the new value. You will need to either choose a column that will only have unique values, or make a new one which will.
For example, if you had X in the Trigger column, then changed it to Y, the Zap would trigger. If you then changed it back to X it would not trigger again, because the Zap has already seen X in that column.
@Troy Tessalone ,
How long until the column memory clears and an already used value can re-trigger the action?
I don’t know of a clear out period of cell values.
I recommend using Airtable instead of GSheets.