Skip to main content

I have a zap that does Create Multiple Spreadsheet Rows in Google Sheets, and when running test on the zap, everything works as expected. 

But, once I publish the zap it tries to write all rows in from data source in one google sheets row, with the end result I get error 

Error message: There was an error writing to your Google sheet. Your input contains more than the maximum of 50000 characters in a single cell.

What could be causing this ?

Thanks. 

Hi @scc-01 

For us to have more info, post these screenshots:

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

So, see attached images. 

And as I said in previous post, note I do not get this error when testing the zap - then it works. I encounter this error after publishing it.. 

@scc-01 

The Zap Run screenshots indicates the mapped field variable is being treated as a string rather than as an array of items, so the GSheet step is trying to create 1 row instead of separate rows.

For us to have more info, post screenshots showing how the data is returned from Zap step 2 and how your Zap step 3 is configured in EDIT mode.

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to help. See attached. 

@Troy Tessalone 

Did you have an opportunity to have a look at my last message? 

Thanks in advance. 

Hey @scc-01 👋

And as I said in previous post, note I do not get this error when testing the zap - then it works. I encounter this error after publishing it.. 

I wonder if the Files step that generates the line items isn’t parsing the CSV correctly when the Zap is running live and that’s causing one of the line item values it outputs to contain more than 50,000 characters. 🤔 

Can you share some screenshots of the Google Sheets step’s Data In and Data Out of a recently errored run of the Zap from the Zap history so we can help check whether one of the line items is outputting more than 50,000 characters? Make sure to blur or remove all personal information (names, emails, addresses etc.) from screenshots before sharing.

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!

@scc-01 

It may be that in step 3 you are trying to get Line Items from a CSV and the CSV File field expects a file object or a file url, but you are providing plain text data from Step 2.

Hi there @Troy Tessalone! 🙂

I just double-checked the CSV File field and it appears to be able to read plain text, not just file objects/urls, and make line items from it:
6cfb0cebd5e7619fc40804cd2f20c3ab.png
0607cd4c04e6edc580573168800c2e84.png

But totally with agree with you on the theory that it may not be interpreting the text correctly if the intention of the field is to only receive a CSV file object or url.

@scc-01 - do you have a CSV file for the exact same data you’re testing with in the Zap? I’d like you to run a quick test to pass the file object or a link to it over to that CSV File field instead of selecting the contents of the CSV from the Webhook. 

If that works then you may need to add an additional step to generate the CSV file from the text supplied by the webhook and then pass that over to the Files action to generate the line items.

Keep us posted on how that test goes!

@scc-01 reached out to me directly over Private Message so I’m sharing a quick update here to keep anyone following this thread in the loop:

The file that was passed to Files by Zapier wasn’t creating the full set of rows which indicates that there’s an issue with how the CSV is file is being interpreted. I’m not certain whether it’s an issue with the file itself or due to a bug with the Files by Zapier app so I’ve advised them to reach out to our Support team to have this investigated further.

@scc-01 - please do keep us updated on how you get on with the Support team 🙏