Skip to main content

Hello everyone, 

I'm running more than 10 zaps with Google Sheets integrations and the step “Find Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets” sometimes gives an error “Error 502 (Server Error)!!1”. The 1 is not a typo. It started happening about a month ago in all my 10 zaps. I don't see a pattern when it does/doesn't happen. 

Does anyone know how to fix this, or have ideas of what I could try?

Best,

Caspar

Hey everyone. This is a normal issue with Google Sheets API. The way I handle it on my programs that I create outside of Zapier is to retry again if an error happens by sending a request again. 

To do this in Zapier, you can just enable auto replay of errored zaps. This will cause the entire Zap to play again if something happens, like the 502s from Google Sheets. You can enable this for your entire account, or for individual Zaps. If you're not an admin, I'd suggest enabling it for your individual Zap since you might not have permission.

https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496241726989-Replay-Zap-runs#h_01H9KDY333ZEHNDSHKEVVBN61B

Autoreplay would only retry any failed steps in a Zap run, instead of the entire zao, which means that if your Zap requires a sequence of fields / updates in the Sheets, this retry wouldn’t work (which is the case for me) :(

Are you sure? According to the article and the behaviour I've experienced, it auto replays the entire Zap. Not just the failed steps

yes, from the link here, it mentioned “Zapier will replay all stopped actions in the Zap.”, instead of the entire zap

https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/19220226086797-What-is-replay#h_01H9KBC1HMW07HTC6EC7NBTENH

Another way to confirm is if you look at the Zap that has auto rerun on in Zap History, you’ll see the step are not running chronologically, as the 502 spreadsheet step would be attempted to run say for instance 5 minutes after the first error, while the other steps which has run already would not be re-run.  

Hi friends,

I have added you all to the open bug report for the 502 error in the Google Sheets integration. While we can’t provide an exact ETA of the bug’s fix. We will keep you updated once the bug is fixed.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

@ken.a - I am running into this issue as well. Please add me to this list as well, thank you!

Hi folks 👋

@adam.doogansmith, @morganlbachman, @bethannon, @Lorry Marcoux, @CyrusAY, @Mike Shay, @Dave R, @MBI, @wwolf, @Danielle.PCA, @ChadWV, @IDrankWhat, @John22B, @janraz, @Obed S. and @jkrreed - we’ve ensured that you’re all added to the bug report so you’ll definitely be notified once the issue has been fixed.

As others have already noted here, these “Error 502 (Server Error)!!1” errors are related to an issue on Google’s end which is beyond our control. However, any Zap runs with those errors should go through successfully when they are replayed. If you’re on a paid plan, Autoreplay can be enabled which will automatically retry any Zap steps that errored, though it won’t replay the entire Zap run.

Thanks so much for everyone’s continued patience and understanding on this, it’s much appreciated 🙏🧡