Question

Google Sheets error. Unable to parse range: 'Book Review Requests'!Ummie Tink:Ummie Tink

• 15 September 2023
  • 2 replies

I’m trying to update a row in a Google Sheet based on a Google Form response. The Sheet has info about books: Book Title, By, Description, Status, etc. The form is used to check out a book so the user can review it. This form has two fields: one for the Book Title and the other identifying the user. (I’m using Form Ranger to populate the Book Title field from the Google Sheet.) When the checkout form is submitted, I want to update the row where the Book Title is what was selected in the form. Specifically, I want to add “In Review by “ plus the user’s ID in the Status field.

I selected the Custom option and did a “Lookup Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets.” In the Lookup Value field, I selected the Book Title field. That put “1. Book Title: Ummie Tink.” This was odd since what I wanted was only “1. Book Title,” but the Zap appeared to be inserting example text, so I went on.

When I went back to “Update Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets,” I found “2. COL B” in the Row field. This was odd since the 2 might mean row 2 and what I wanted was only “COL B,” but I went on.  

The result: Failed to create a spreadsheet row in Google Sheets. There was an error writing to your Google sheet. Unable to parse range: 'Book Review Requests'!Ummie Tink:Ummie Tink’. 

If this helps: I’m familiar with classic ASP, or I was 20 years ago. What I would have written in ASP would have been something like Select ‘Status’ from ‘Book Review Requests’ where ‘Book Title’ = Request.Form(‘Book Title’). And then I could have updated the Status to Request.Form(‘User ID’).

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Katharine 

Good question.

To help us have proper context, please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured along with the encountered error.

Oh, no! This time I skipped the test just to see what would happen, and ONLY THEN do I find out that I have to pay $29 a month for what was supposed to be free--because it was multistep, which I imagine almost everything is. I’m doing something as a volunteer, and nobody will be making money from what I do. So, it’s off to investigate some other way of handling this. Thanks for your interest in helping.