Question

Google Sheets error: The app returned "Request entity was not found"

• 1 August 2023
  • 1 reply

The goal of our Zap: 

When it fires, if a spreadsheet with the title “[input data title]” does not exist, create the spreadsheet titled “[input data title]” in Google Sheets.

If the spreadsheet with that title _does_ exist, find that spreadsheet and add a row.

We use a master sheet to determine whether to create a new spreadsheet or update an existing one - if a row in the master sheet exists with title === “[input data title]”, the sheet exists.

The issue is that in order to accomplish this flow, we need to use the Path action. Path A will create a new spreadsheet and update it with the first record. This works great!

Path B attempts to find the spreadsheet created by the title. Path B is not aware of the spreadsheet ID that was created in Path A since these two actions will not execute in the same Zap run. 

In Path B, in the “Create Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets” action, in the “Spreadsheet” field, I choose the Custom tab and select the “[input data title]” data field. (see screenshot 1) I cannot simply select the spreadsheet since this has to be dynamic - it needs to create or update a spreadsheet based on the incoming data.

When I go to test it, Zapier returns an error. “Requested entity not found” (screenshot 2).

Is it possible to conditionally create a Google sheet with a dynamic name, or update that sheet if it already exists, all in one Zap?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @hoobe! 👋

If the spreadsheet needs to be searched for (and created if it doesn’t already exist) and that same spreadsheet needs to be accessed by both paths then I’d have thought it would be best to move that Find/Create Spreadsheet action out of path A. If you move it to run before the Paths by Zapier action in the Zap, then you can have both paths checking that same action step to see if an existing spreadsheet was found or created. 

If an existing spreadsheet was found then the _zap_search_was_found_status field it outputs will have a value of true. If one isn’t found then it would have a value of false. See: Search for existing data in Zaps. Then you’d select the spreadsheet’s ID (using the custom value option) in both paths to reference the spreadsheet that was found/created.

Hope that helps to point you in the right direction. If you give that a try and are still running into issues just let us know! 🙂