Skip to main content
Best answer

Google Sheets error: Could not find the selected worksheets

• 19 July 2024
  • 4 replies

I’m building a zap to pull information from a number of worksheets within the same Google sheet and then generate a form letter using that information. Everything is good, except for one step where I need to look up information on a specific worksheet that matches information retrieved earlier in the zap.

The first (trigger) step fires when a new line is added to the source sheet. It retrieves that new row and stores it for the next step. The second box (in red) is meant to find a specific worksheet in that same sheet using information retrieved in step 1. For reference, these are the tabs available in the sheet:

The trigger reads the new row from the ‘onboarding’ worksheet. This is step is working. The Insurance field is meant to be used in step 2 

Step 2 is configured to find the worksheet tab that matches the Insurance value retrieved above (and lookup the city):

When configured this way, Zapier says that it can’t find the worksheet despite the name criteria matching (no spaces, spelling errors, etc):

That value exactly matches the name of the worksheet (see up-thread), but no dice. Setting the worksheet name statically (i.e. the string “InsuranceA”) works.

I’ve tried the following:

1. Checked spelling
  2. Checked file permissions
  3. Scrapped and re-created the step
  4. Restarted the testing process with new data
  5. Lots of googling

If anyone has pointers it would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Ipzero 

Help link to follow about expected values in dropdown fields: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496241696141-Add-custom-values-to-dropdown-menu-fields-in-Zaps

The Worksheet field expects the Worksheet ID.

Try adding this Zap action: GSheets - Find Worksheet

NOTE: Same may be true for the field: Lookup Column

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Ipzero,

We just wanted to see how everything is going with your Zap. Did Troy's recommendation get the job done? Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance with your Zap. We're glad to address any concerns and assist you.

We're looking forward to your response.

Userlevel 1

Troy,

Thank you so much! I’d typed out a thank you on Friday but failed to hit ‘send’. You were a lifesaver and you help is much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That’s fantastic news, @Ipzero! 🎉 Thank you so much for confirming that Troy’s suggestion did the trick. And thank you to @Troy Tessalone for helping out here! 🙌 

Do reach out in the Community again if you ever need help in the future. Until then, happy Zapping! ⚡