Best answer

Google Forms to DocuSign Zap not Populating Variables

• 7 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

I am having an issue where the variables inserted within the Google Form is not auto populating into the DocuSign whenever I run the Zap.

Essentially I see the data go into zapier properly, but it does not push out to DocuSign for the contract variables.

Any idea here?

icon

Best answer by MohSwellam 7 October 2022, 22:25

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @James Aiken 

This would be because the signature order and who you choose as the recipient in the Docusign action. 

Meaning, if you are sending the Docusign to Employee first but those fields in Docusign are set to be filled by HR Manager for example, then they won't populate. The prefilled fields has to be set to be filled by whomever receives the document first. 

And dont worry, if they are prefilled, whomever receives it will not be able to change it. 

Let me know if this helps. 

Userlevel 1

Hi @James Aiken 

This would be because the signature order and who you choose as the recipient in the Docusign action. 

Meaning, if you are sending the Docusign to Employee first but those fields in Docusign are set to be filled by HR Manager for example, then they won't populate. The prefilled fields has to be set to be filled by whomever receives the document first. 

And dont worry, if they are prefilled, whomever receives it will not be able to change it. 

Let me know if this helps. 

Hey Moh, thanks for the help here. 

So the issue is some of the information pulled in by the Zap isn’t getting moved over to the DocuSign document. I don’t want the first person to have to fill out the fields (although they should be editable). I would want the fields to all be filled out based on the information that is moving through the zap (company name, address, etc)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It’s my pleasure James

Which means that the fields in Docusign needs to be assigned to the first person in the Signature Order. Are they already assigned in this way? And is this the same person whom you send the envelope to through Zapier? If the first person in the signing order is not the same person you are sending the envelop to through Zapier then the autofilling won't work unfortunately.

Meaning, if the first person in the signing order is a static email in Docusign, then there is no way to prefil the data. 

Userlevel 1

It’s my pleasure James

Which means that the fields in Docusign needs to be assigned to the first person in the Signature Order. Are they already assigned in this way? And is this the same person whom you send the envelope to through Zapier? If the first person in the signing order is not the same person you are sending the envelop to through Zapier then the autofilling won't work unfortunately.

Meaning, if the first person in the signing order is a static email in Docusign, then there is no way to refill the data. 

Essentially this is being sent to a “Partner” to approve the document, once the documents variables are confirmed and approved, it is sent to the “hiring manager” (two recipients)

It sounds like you are saying the Recipientemail and Recipientname and role would need to be the “Partner” in this case, however it seems like there wouldn’t be any opportunity to approve the document before it goes out…

If I am understanding correctly, I may be able to have the “Hiring Manager” as the first signor with uneditable variables within the docusign, then have it sent to the “Partner” afterward for approval. Am I understanding correctly? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If I am understanding correctly, I may be able to have the “Hiring Manager” as the first signor with uneditable variables within the docusign, then have it sent to the “Partner” afterward for approval. Am I understanding correctly? 

Yes, that is it exactly. Once you prefill the data, they won't be able to edit it no worries :) I have had multiple zaps using DocuSign, and the prefilling part was always a mystery to me till I got the hang of it :D 

Let me know if this helps, then please come back and mark it as answer so others can benefit from it

Userlevel 1

Yes, that is it exactly. Once you prefill the data, they won't be able to edit it no worries :) I have had multiple zaps using DocuSign, and the prefilling part was always a mystery to me till I got the hang of it :D 

Let me know if this helps, then please come back and mark it as answer so others can benefit from it

It definitely works now!! 

I was so aggravated with it because I had it work once and just couldn’t get it set back up again once I made a new template. I really appreciate your help!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It my pleasure James ! Glad it finally worked! 

Please mark any of my replies that helped you as Answer :)