Best answer

Google Drive 'find folder' ignores the exact match and finds similarly named folders - any solution?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi

I need my zap to find the project folder in the route of a drive..

but even though the project folder is right there in the top level of the drive, the ‘find folder’ zap instead finds an obscure folder buried deep in the project folder with a roughly similar name.

Presumably this is a bug.

Does anyone have a fix, or failing that, a decent workaround?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 7 July 2023, 17:28

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ETBrain 

Good question.

To help us have more context, please post screenshots with how your Zap step is configured, thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Troy, Here’s the step

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ETBrain 

GDrive does a fuzzy match.

Try setting the Parent Folder.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Troy

The parent folder IS the Project drive - the text underneeath suggests leaving it blankmeans it will default to the top-level folder.. but that doesn’t seem to do any good unfortunately.

Could I add an id code for the drive here perhaps?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Troy

In order to add the drive as ‘parent folder’ I had to copy the drive id from the webGUI, go to custom, then paste it in (so not obvious it could even be done) 

Needs further testing but I’m tentatively optimistic that’s cracked it!

Thanks Troy!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

HI @ETBrain,

Cool! Glad to know you were able to get it sorted! 

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out. We’re always happy to help! 😊

Userlevel 1

Hi Guys,

On the same topic, I have issue finding the folder I am looking for even if I use the Parent folder. 

Example: I am looking for the Folder ‘Garage’ in the parent folder ‘G’ and the output will be ‘Garage Blue

So my next actions are not in the right folder. 

I also clicked the button ‘Create Google Drive (1.0.7) Folder if it doesn’t exist yet?’ in order to create the Folder ‘Garage’ if it did not exist

Any idea how to avoid this issue ?

Thx !

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @nicolas n,

At the moment the “Find Folder” action uses fuzzy search which finds matches that are approximately equal to a given search query, rather than exactly matching it.

However, we have an open feature request to improve the “Find Folder” search. Please let me know if you’d like to get added to that.

Userlevel 1

Hi
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I would love to be added to the feature request and update.

Thx !

Userlevel 1

Hi,

Regarding this topic, I found an alternative with the ‘API request’ and the result is very promising. 

I can perfectly find the folder I am looking for. 

My query is 
GET
https://www.googleapis.com/drive/v3/files
q : 'Parent ID' in parents and mimeType='application/vnd.google-apps.folder' and name='Garage'

Hope it will help ! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @nicolas n,

I have added you to the open feature request to improve the search when using the “Find Folder” action for Google Drive. We will keep you in the loop via email once the feature has been implemented.

Additionally, thank you for sharing the workaround here. This will be helpful to our Community members who might have the same issue.