Skip to main content
Best answer

Google Drive error: The app returned "Moving folders into shared drives is not supported"

• 10 July 2024
  • 5 replies

This post was split from topic: 

I just tested and I was able to use the GDrive Move File action to also move a folder using Folder ID as the File ID. - This doesn’t work anymore. I tried it and I got this message: 

Any updates from Zapier on when we can expect this to be available?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Dragana,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Before we dig deeper into this, would you mind sharing a detailed screenshot of how your Zap is configured? Also, please share a screenshot of the “Action” section of the Google Drive action step that shows all of its fields. Like so:

46dd6c0979e3d815d621b8da43084ef1.png
(view larger)

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Thanks!

Userlevel 1

Hi @ken.a thank you for replying back.

Unfortunately, I deleted the flow, but I can try and do it again and let you know on the outcome. In a nutshell, I want to move FOLDERS from my personal drive to a company shared Drive folder and I used “move file” action, then chose “folder ID” and the output location (company shared Drive folder) and when I ran the test, I got the error message shared above. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Dragana 👋

Thank you for clarifying that. I did some checking and the workaround can be used to move folders in your personal drive but, as that error indicates, the workaround won’t work for folders being moved from a Personal Drive to Shared Drive.

So I’ve added your vote to the existing feature request that’s being tracked here: 

This will allow us to notify you by email as soon as that functionality gets added.

That said, I did some further digging and discovered that Google have a feature request open for the ability to move folders from personal to shared drives via their API: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/207514843?pli=1. So I’d recommend adding your vote to that feature request as well. Once that functionality is added to Google Drive’s API then we’d be able to make use of it in the Google Drive app on Zapier.

Sorry to not have a more immediate solution or alternative workaround to suggest. If there’s anything else we can assist with in the meantime please do let us know! 

Userlevel 1

Thank you @SamB , I appreciate it. I gave my vote for this feature!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You are most welcome @Dragana! 🤗

Thanks for adding your vote to that as well. Hopefully Google can get that feature request implemented soon so that we can make use of it on our side! 🤞