Skip to main content
Best answer

Google Drive Error: 'Nonetype' object is not subscriptable

I am getting this error when sending a stock file to the zapier email adress. When the test file is sent, everything works. But when I send my own document, it doesn't.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Vincent Bus, thanks for joining us in the Community! 🙂

I did some checking and it looks as though that error is related to a known bug where we’re showing that error for issues in uploading/accessing a file. So I’ve gone ahead and added you as an affected user. That’ll allow us to contact you by email to let you know when the issue has been fixed.

That said, we have had some reports from users running into that error that the files were uploaded or added successfully despite the error. So it could be that the emails are sent out with the file attached, even though it errored.

If not, I wonder if it might be erroring because it’s having trouble accessing the file due to permissions. If your documents aren’t publicly accessible, meaning they require you to be logged in to view them, then that might be why they can’t be added as an attachment. More on this here: Send files in Zaps.

So to fix that, when selecting the file you’d likely either need to:

• Select the file object - usually that’s a file field that has a value of (Exists but not shown). 
  • Or select a publicly accessible link to download the file.

Can you double-check whether those emails were sent out? And if not, let us know if selecting a File Object/publicly-accessible link to it sorts it?  

Looking forward to hearing how that goes!

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the file is not uploaded despite the error. The file to upload is a csv file that is attached to an e-mail. There are no view limitations on this file. 

In the Zap I have selected the excisting Google Drive file to be replaced by 1. Attachement (Exists but not shown). That should be enough, right?

I have built a Zap like this before and it worked perfectly...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Vincent Bus,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

I apologize for the inconvenience caused by this bug. Can you please check if you have entered any data in the "File Name" and "File Extension" fields? If you have, I suggest removing that information and attempting to trigger the Zap again to see if the issue persists.

Please keep us posted! 😊

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I recreated the whole Zap and it seems to work now! Thank you for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Vincent Bus,

Awesome! Glad to know you were able to get it sorted.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to post them in the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗

This is happening to me, I don’t want to have to recreate my entire Zap as a solution. What are the other options here? Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Lucas R,

I’m so sorry to hear about the trouble with your Zap.

If you don’t want to recreate the entire Zap. Have you tried duplicating the Zap instead? You can duplicate the Zap by clicking on the three dots (...) next to the Zap name in the Zaps page. Like so:

31bd60c5d5144deab2bce5c693728a27.png
(view larger)

Please give that a try, and let us know how it goes. 😊

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am having the same issue. Duplicating the Zap did not work. Recreating it from scratch also did not work. I am stuck.

Userlevel 2
Badge

In my case, I was using a Upload File to Google Drive action using the upload folder using an ID received from a previous step. I was not specifying the Drive.

The step failed because the provided folder was not in the authenticated user’s “My Drive” but, instead in a shared drive.

I was able to get around it adding a Google Drive API Request step. I used endpoint /drive/v3/files/{ID} (docs: https://developers.google.com/drive/api/reference/rest/v3/files/get) with query parameter supportsAllDrives set to true and that did the trick.

I could then use Dive ID from that step to specify the Drive on the Upload File step.

Maybe this will help others in a similar situation.

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Really great work here, @sistemasUp! 🙌

Thank you so much for taking the time to pop back in here and share details of the solution you implemented. I’m sure this information will be super useful to other folks running into the same issue! 🤗