Skip to main content

Hi, I have a bunch of Zaps that have been working great, however I’ve just discovered a problem that didn’t previously exist with Google Contacts. 

It’s an ‘Update Contact’ step and the problem seems to be isolate to the ‘Event Date’ and ‘Event Type’ fields in the Zapier interface. Whenever the zap tries to update the corresponding fields in Google Contacts, it deletes pre-existing data, and leaves the fields blank.

The corresponding fields in Google Contacts are ‘Significant date’ and ‘label’. The label name can be customised, and the name mapped to match the ‘Event type’ in Zapier.

Like I said before, this has been working fine for a number of months up until now. I have had to update a few Google legacy apps in Zapier recently, but only just noticed this problem.

This is a bit of a nightmare situation for me. Any helps or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi @gloheating 

Before updating the Contact, Find the Contact, then map the existing data from the found Contact to the Update Contact step to preserve the existing Contact data, plus add in any new data to “update”.

Hi @Troy Tessalone thanks for your reply.

This is what I am already doing. The zap has worked just fine up until now. To summarise, I Find Contact by name in Step 8, then after two Path steps and formatting of data, in step 17 I use the content ID (from the Find Contact step) at the top of the Update Contact step to identify the correct Contact to update. The zap finds the correct Contact, however if you then enter ‘new’ data in the Phone, Email, Event date, Event type fields, the zap completely wipes data from the corresponding fields in Google Contacts. In addition to this, if any of the Address fields have new data in them, the Zap does not update the Google Contacts address fields.

Fields that are left blank in the Update Contact step are working correctly i.e. the data in corresponding Google Contact fields remains unchanged.

This is a huge problem as I have many zaps that auto update Google Contacts based on info that customers provide through a self serving order process. Without shutting down the booking site, and doing everything manually I have no way of stopping the zaps deleting critical info in Google Contacts, which itself is used to trigger zaps.

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Hi there @gloheating,

You might be running into a bug here. I recommend reaching out to our Support Team since they have the correct tools to investigate this issue further.

You can reach our Support Team here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

@ken.a thanks I’ve reported the bug to Support.

You are most welcome @gloheating! It looks like our Support Team has created a bug report regarding the issue you’re running into.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

I have the same problem and just submitted a ticket.  Did you get a resolution yet? Any suggestions on what to do in the meantime?  Just go through and manually add info back into google?

@Buddy the initial contact from Zapier Support was good, however, it seems this stage was to confirm their was indeed a bug, and not an error on how I was using Zapier. Once Support confirmed a bug was causing the problem, the case was escalated to Zapiers Support Engineering Team. I haven’t heard anything at all since then (10 days ago now). The problem still exists and as far as I know it has not been looked at yet. For now I have deleted Update Google Contacts actions from all Zaps and am back to manually updating Google Contacts. I may edit my Zaps to update a contacts row in Google Sheets instead, but ultimately in the long term this is not a good enough workaround, I need the info automatically updated in Google Contacts.

Please let me know if you have better luck with Zapier Support or a better workaround until it’s fixed.

Hi friends,

It looks like the bug report has been closed. Could you please confirm if you’re still running into the same issue here?

I'll be keeping an eye out for your response!

@gloheating appreciate your reply and sorry to hear about the rough support experience - very frustrating to have not gotten a reply!  

Interestingly, it looks like it has been fixed.  I left the automation on and manually corrected the contacts - email, phone, and address were being wiped while the notes section of contacts was updating correctly.  It was all of them that updated from 8/29 - 9/11.  Thankfully not too many..

Yesterday mid-morning, a few more updated via the zap after my manual corrections and they look ok!  So perhaps it was fixed sometime yesterday morning?  going to keep an eye on things but so far so good…  Hope you see the fix as well!  

@buddy I received an email from Support moments after yesterdays reply to you, saying the bug has been fixed. I did a quick test and all now looks OK. Maybe someone at Zapier saw the post and chased it up. Will test more later. Thanks.

That’s an amazing news @Buddy and @gloheating! We’re glad to hear that the bug has been resolved!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗

@ken.a yes this bug has now been resolved. Thanks.

You are most welcome, @gloheating!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗