Best answer

I can't link my Google Assistant account to Zapier.

Userlevel 1

Hi, I’ve just learned about Zapier and it’s community, trying to get free from IFTTT and it’s weird shrinking tactics.

I’ve copied and moved my applets/zaps over…

However there’s no way I can link my google assistant account to Zapier.

The website doesn’t work, there are multiple people crying about it the reviews sections as well.

Speak to Zapier, Talk to Zapier commands don’t work (it either opens up the website, or calls a phone number 8773818743, or says I don’t understand)

Can’t connect it from phone, Google Home Hub, Google Home Mini, PC, nowhere pretty much…

Hopefully it’s a temporary issue, but still a lot of people are complaining about this issue.

Thank you, have a great day.
Alex

icon

Best answer by christina.d 21 June 2023, 06:24

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi Alex -

Welcome to Zapier Community! 👋 First, thank you for bringing this to our attention, I’d love to see what kind of assistance I can provide. I do want to make sure I am understanding this correctly, the issue you are having is that you cannot connect Google Assistant to Zapier at all, correct? 

When you mentioned the website won’t open, are you referring to the pop-up screen that allows you to sync the account, or the page where you got to set up the trigger and action for your Zap? 

Looking forward to your response! 

Userlevel 1

Hey chanelle, 👋

So those print screens above are from my phone, they kind of speak for themselves.

But if your patience is with you, I will bother a bit more with textual details as well, as I'm hoping they will help.

I've created some zaps (pretty much just transcribed over some ifttt applets) everything works well to create, to log into the services, etc 

However when I ask Google assistant (either trough phone, or trough Google Home Hub or Google Home Mini) to "talk to zapier", or "speak to zapier" basically to invoke the created zaps, it just searches for 'talk to zapier' on google search, or tries to dial a number.

Even when I click the button 'Try now' on the Zapiers app page of Google Assistant (that's caught in one of the screenshots) it just doesn't work to invoke the commands.

Sorry for the long read. Thankies.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for sharing those details, @IzzIsHOr. Sorry to hear you’re running into this and for sharing your feedback!

You’re right - phrases not triggering the zap is a known bug with the Google Assistant app and I’ve added you as an impacted user. While we don’t have an ETA for a fix it’s the best way to stay informed once one does become available.

Thanks for flagging this here and we’ll email you and keep the thread updated with any news!

Userlevel 1

Hello,
Is there an update on this?

Similar experience as OP, I want to create ToDoist task from voice on Google Assistant but it impossible. 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @trickyricky! Thanks for reaching out - we definitely want to help.

Can you elaborate a bit more on what isn’t working? For example are you running into the same issue here where specific phrases aren’t triggering the zap? 

The reason I ask is I want to make sure we’re adding you to the right bug report and providing you with the most relevant info. 🙂

Thanks so much for help!

Userlevel 1

Hey there, @trickyricky! Thanks for reaching out - we definitely want to help.

Can you elaborate a bit more on what isn’t working? For example are you running into the same issue here where specific phrases aren’t triggering the zap? 

The reason I ask is I want to make sure we’re adding you to the right bug report and providing you with the most relevant info. 🙂

Thanks so much for help!

Hi @christina.d 

I think Google have disabled the API. When saying or trying "talk to zapier" "speak to zapier" "start zapier" , assistant simply says "sorry, zapier is no longer available". 

I want to use Google assistant voice to start zapier and add a task to my ToDoist. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong!

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hmm, thanks for sharing that! I think you may be onto something @trickyricky.

Bear with me while I dig into this a bit more! Hopefully we’ll have an update soon. 👍🏽

Appreciate you flagging this! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey friends! Back with a final update - Google Assistant’s app is no longer supported due to changes on Google’s end (Conversational Actions sunset overview). 

As far as I know there’s no plans to incorporate the another Google API for the Google Assistant app at this stage. From what I’ve seen it seems like Google’s App Actions would be the alternative here but it appears to be geared towards Android specifically and may not have quite the same functionality available. So possibly why there’s no plans currently, but that’s just a best guess. 

If anything changes on this we’ll be sure to share news of that here in the community. In the meantime, the only other workaround I can think of if a Code by Zapier or Webhooks by Zapier action don’t work, would be to build a custom integration with Google’s App Actions API on the Zapier Platform. There’s a lot more work involved in doing that though so you may well want to enlist the help of a Zapier Expert

Thanks for your understanding!

Thanks for the update, @christina.d

Not sure if you can help but the option to use Google Assistant as a trigger is still available when creating Zaps which is confusing for users. Be good to remove the functionality and tidy up documentation as soon as possible.

@christina.d 

For the benefit of everyone involved, could you kindly consider removing the Google Assistant app functionality entirely? This adjustment would help prevent any potential inconvenience caused by Zapier. 

When setting up a new account, there seems to be an option to initiate a zap with Google Assistant, even though support has ended. Perhaps ensuring that only fully supported options are available for zaps from the beginning could enhance user experience. This small change could reflect positively on Zapier's organization and save users from unnecessary frustrations, ultimately fostering a more positive user sentiment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention, @stray_coder and @czarandom

I have good news! The Google Assistant app is now fully removed from the list of available Google Apps and no longer be available to select when creating a new Zap.

Very sorry for any confusion and inconvenience caused by Google Assistant app still hanging around despite Google sunsetting it’s Conversational Actions API. We really appreciate you both for taking the time to flag this in the Community. Thanks again! 🤗