Best answer

Getting structured data out of webflow to populate UTM values

• 14 March 2023
  • 4 replies

I’m trying to populate UTM values in systems (Intercom, Pipedrive) fed by a Webflow form.  I can successfully get data out of my webflow form that collects UTM values:

data__utm_source:

[site_source_name]

data__utm_medium:

[utm_medium]

data__utm_campaign:

[utm_campaign]

data__utm_content:

[ad.name]

However, in my subsequent Zapier steps, I can’t reference those values to populate Intercom and Pipedrive.  What am I missing?  Why doesn’t this appear as a selectable value in the later steps?

icon

Best answer by ken.a 15 March 2023, 05:09

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @drewpats 

Good question.

For us to have proper context, please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured along with the UTM data returned that you are trying to use.

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

here is the total flow:

Data out of my webflow step includes the UTM values:

but i can’t then access these values (the Intercom UTM fields) in the intercom step

or access the structured UTM data from the webflow step

does this give you more context?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@drewpats 

In the Zap Editor when you are configuring the Zap steps, are you using an example from the trigger that has those values UTM fields populated?

How to change your trigger example data: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496310366093

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey @drewpats,
It looks like you opened a ticket to our Support Team, and here’s what they said...

I'm afraid the bad news here is that Webflow isn't capable of returning UTM parameter values and only returns placeholder or null values in live Zap runs and trigger samples:

We're always looking for ways to make partner integrations in our platform more powerful, and this could be really useful for others as well, so much so that it's already on our list of feature requests. I've added your email address as another vote for this addition. I don't have an ETA of when or if this will happen, but we will definitely email you if it is implemented.

In the meantime, a potential workaround is creating a Webhooks Form Submission event in WebFlow and replacing the Zap's trigger with Catch Hook in Webhooks by Zapier. 

But to be upfront, Webhooks by Zapier is considered an advanced feature, so our support for it may be more limited. Not because we don't want to help, but because APIs can be tricky to troubleshoot since we can't see what's happening on the other side. Every API that you send a request to is going to have slightly different structures that are required. 

This makes it hard for us to know why the request may be receiving errors or not working as expected beyond taking a general look at what's showing in Zapier.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to continue the conversation with our Support Team.