Skip to main content
Best answer

Frame.io: Triggers repeating randomly, how do slow down/reduce version update triggers?

Hey! So I’ve been using Zapier for almost a year now, I’ve got a series of Zaps that once they were setup worked FLAWLESSLY. For context, I’ve got automations so that if an edit gets approved it’ll duplicate the edit. Move it to a client edit folder. Notify a producer within a slack channel specific for that frame project with review links, comments to original, etc…

A few days ago I’ve noticed that my Zaps are randomly repeating 2-5 times despite the asset label change trigger only happening once. The repeating sometimes happens within half of a second of each other or sometimes multiple seconds.

What can I do to stop frame sending multiple triggers for one action. Alternatively, I’ve tried adding a comment to a video and adding a filter to the start of the zap so if it finds the “repeat test” comment sop it won’t continue with the zap. The find comment action within Zapier is really buggy, often just providing app says “Not Found” errors…

I’m using tasks like crazy with this issue so I’d really appreciate any help please!!!

Hi @CannonBall 

For us to have more info, post screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured in EDIT mode.

Hi @Troy Tessalone, good to hear from you again! Much appreciate the help!

Here’s a screen of one of the basic Zaps I have setup. The filter checks the label is the correct one for the function and it makes sure the file isn’t a master/premaster

The issue is the trigger and the fact it’s happening multiple times despite the action that should trigger it happening once. It’s pretty random, so there’s times where you’ll set a video to “need’s review” and it’ll play the zap once. But sometimes it’ll trigger 3 times within a minute. This feels like a change from Frame.io as this has been working fine and stable for almost a year now?

I’m thinking should I add an action to the start of the zap that logs the time and name of the assets to a table. I’d then add to the filter that it shouldn’t proceed unless the file hasn’t been automated in the last minute? (Not the most elegant, but maybe it’ll work? Any better ideas?)

Thanks again for the help!

@CannonBall 

Yeah, best to log and filter the Zap Runs into a table. (Zapier Tables, Airtable, GSheets)

Add a Delay (After Queue) step as well to make sure the Zap Runs process sequentially.

@Troy Tessalone I currently have each zap separated depending on what function it's doing (depending on the label). Do you think I should be combining all my zaps into one zap that filters and has separate paths for each function?

@CannonBall 

There are limits to be aware of using Paths: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496288555917-Add-branching-logic-to-Zaps-with-Paths#h_01HW39SQXX23XK3VEW91WJCKMZ

@Troy Tessalone good to know! Thanks! Do you have any tips for best approach for the table logging setup? I'd like to avoid delaying the zap as much as possible, it's very annoying frame has recently decided to start sending multiple triggers for one event

@CannonBall 

You can try reaching out to Frame Support for possible help troubleshooting.

Use Zapier Tables as that won’t count as any Zap Tasks in Zap Runs.

Really up to you to define the fields and which data points to log in order to lookup.

Delay (After Queue) can be set below 1 minute.

@Troy Tessalone , legend! Thanks for the help I'll give it a try tomorrow 

Hi @CannonBall,

We just wanted to see how everything is going with your Zap. Did Troy's recommendation get the job done? If you need any assistance, feel free to reach out. We're happy to address any concerns and assist you.

We're looking forward to your response.

@JammerS  - I’ve managed to find out a work around thanks!

@Troy Tessalone  - Adding a delay unfortunately made the issue harder to fix. Just incase you or someone who’s found this thread reads this, here’s how I fixed the issue:

So what I did was start by capturing the start time & date for when the zap started using: zap_meta_utc_iso:YYYY-MM-DDTHH:mm:ss+00:00

Using formatter I also converted this to X format (this is important for greater than filtering later)

I’ve got another formatter which get the current time value and subtracts 2 minutes.

The find record action searches my notification relay table for the Asset ID, Label & Start Time. If it finds the exact same result as the trigger it’ll filter out. If it doesn’t, it’ll add the data to the table based on the trigger and continue down the chain.

After that there’s a filter that checks the start time value returned by the find record function and compares it to the current time-2minutes output. If the start time returned from the table is greater than that value the rest of the function will continue. This allows me to filter out/ignore repeated Frame triggers as long as it’s not within a 2 minute window.

Finally to clean up the table, after a 3 minute delay it’ll delete the record that was added.