Best answer

Forwarded emails are coming out in code

Userlevel 1

I’m trying to set up a Zap that will take emails I’ve labeled in a certain way in Gmail and forward them to a single person so they can then read through them and process them on their end. I’ve built a Zap that is working as expected, and that is doing what I’d hope, but instead of just forwarding the email formatted as it came to me, it’s forwarding in source code. Is there a way to set this up so the forwarded email is HTML formatted and therefore easy for the recipient to read through? 

icon

Best answer by shalgrim 9 March 2023, 02:01

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @egratto 

Good question.

For us to have context, please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

Also, you may want to look into using Gmail Rules to forward emails.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey there @egratto ,

Can you try setting the Body Type field from “plain” to “html” and see if it fixes this problem?

But I want to add that you might not even need Zapier to do this. Do you have access to the email address you want to forward the emails to? If so, you can add that as a forwarding address in Gmail and then set up a filter in Gmail to forward messages there when the label is added.

Here is a post describing how to do that

Let us know if you have any questions!

Userlevel 1

Hey y’all -- thanks for this input. 

Here’s a screenshot of the configuration (which did have body type set as HTML): 

Here’s what the sent email looks like: 

Here’s what that .txt attachment looks like: 

@shalgrim I did try the solution on that page you linked to, but it doesn’t seem to actually work (I made some test messages, since the post indicated that it would not actually apply to back email, and none of them forwarded when I applied the label). But thank you for the attempt!

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Can you try putting the Body HTML value into the Body field instead of adding as an attachment? 

Userlevel 1

Oh! That worked! Thank you both so much for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That’s fantastic news, @egratto!

Really appreciate you taking the time to come back here and confirm that shalgrim’s suggestion solved it. So pleased you were able to get it working. Happy Zapping! ⚡