Best answer

Formatter Math Operations Error: “Invalid Syntax: Only numeric values are allowed”

• 28 April 2022
  • 9 replies

I have been looking around for an answer to solve this and tried everything I can come up with, but I am still stuck here..

What I want to do is simple; divide a variable by two.

putting input field 1. a variable set by previous step,  2. 2

This turns out 

The app returned "Invalid Syntax: Only numeric values are allowed".

I also tried Spread-sheet style formula as   4.output: 5,000,000/2 and (4.output: 5,000,000)/2, as well as 

Quotient(4.output: 5,000,000,2)

any other ideas implement divide by 2??

please help me out...

icon

Best answer by christina.d 10 May 2022, 20:03

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Mariko 

Good question.

The reason for the Formatter error is because of the currency symbol.

Try using a Formatter > Text > Replace step to remove that symbol and return a number only to use.

Hi Troy,  Thank you for your reply.  I appreciate your help

I tried with no symbol

However, it turned out to be an error.

It seems there are another issue on this.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Mariko 

The error indicates it expects a number w/o commas, otherwise it’s splitting the number at the comma delimiter.

Is there any way to turn a number into no commas?  The data comes in as it is from another app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Mariko 

Try using a Formatter > Text > Replace step to remove that commas and return a number only to use.

Am I doing wrong?  not working as i expect..

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Mariko 

Try just a ,

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Mariko where you able to get the commas removed from your number by typing a “,” into the “Find” field instead of “[:comma:]? It looks like you’re so close to getting the result you’re after with your number formatting! Let us know!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi friends! 👋🏽 I wanted to summarize a few of the points here into one answer. 

As Troy mention it looks like the error is occurring due to the currency symbol. He also recommended using a Formatter > Text > Replace step to remove the commas and return only a number.

In the find field searching for “ ,  “ may be useful in lieu of “comma” may help.