Best answer

Formatter CSV import encoding issue error - “’utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 10: invalid continuation byte"

• 8 January 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi community. I have a gmail where every day I receive a Google Ad Manager .csv

I’m trying to parse that .csv in Zapier through Trigger: Gmail > Actions: formattier utilites, but when I test the Action I get this error message: ‘The util_line_item could not be sent to Formatter by Zapier. The app returned "The CSV file couldn't be read, usually due to an encoding issue. Error message: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 10: invalid continuation byte".’

What should I do? I attach prints of the process.

Appreciate any help. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by SamB 11 January 2022, 12:01

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @MF22!

I’ve seen this error in the past where a zip file of multiple attachments is passed to Formatter, instead of a single CSV file. It looks like this could well be the case here as you’re using the New Email trigger for Gmail and I believe that automatically zips attachments. 

Can you try making a copy of your current Zap so you don’t loose its current setup. Then switch it to use the New Attachment trigger for Gmail instead? This allows the Zap to trigger for each individual attachment and would supply a single CSV file over to the Formatter step.

You’ll likely also want to add a Filter step to ensure that the Zap only attempts to import CSV files and ignore other types of files. You can find out more about setting up the Filter here:

Hope that helps! :)