Best answer

Files Uploaded to OneDrive using action in Zapier are losing their File Extensions

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello, I am using Zapier to upload files into OneDrive. This is a switch from Google Drive which we were using previously. I am noticing that whenever the upload action is taken, the file extension is lost and OneDrive and Windows interprets these as the “File” file type. Google Drive would preserve the file type when uploading, but OneDrive does not seem to. Is there anyway to conserve the file extension so when it is emailed to other people, they do not have any issues opening it. I have tried manually appending .jpg or .pdf to the end of the filename in the OneDrive step configuration, but this just gives me an “Access Denied” error. Attached are screenshots showing what I am talking about.

icon

Best answer by Danvers 21 July 2022, 12:34

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Walking Comfort!

I’m sorry that you’re running into this issue, it looks like it’s a known problem with the OneDrive integration and I’ve added you to the issue report for it. This lets the team know how many users are affected by it and also means that we’ll send you an email when we have an update. 

Let’s see if we can get you up and running in the mean time. There are a couple of things that you can try that should allow the file to be uploaded properly:

Upload the file without adding a name for the file (ie leave the filename blank).

This will keep the file’s original name when it’s uploaded, so may not be a great solution for you if you need to rename the file. 

Add file extension to the name of the file in the Zap.

In the file name field type “.jpg” (or whatever the extension is) after the file name. Again, this does have its limitations, specifically if you may need to upload more than one file type in the same Zap. Let us know if that’s the case for you as we should be able to find a workaround for that if needed! 

I’m sorry that I don’t have better news on this one and let me know if either of those workarounds do or don’t help you in this case!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you for your reply. Uploading without a name will not work for me unfortunately, as we are in need of the naming schema to utilize these files appropriately.

However in regards to this solution.

Add file extension to the name of the file in the Zap.

In the file name field type “.jpg” (or whatever the extension is) after the file name. Again, this does have its limitations, specifically if you may need to upload more than one file type in the same Zap. Let us know if that’s the case for you as we should be able to find a workaround for that if needed!

I have tried uploading with a .jpg at the end and when I test the step, I get an access denied error from the step. Do you know a way to resolve this error? As I think this would work for this use case if I can get past the error.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Walking Comfort!

I’m sorry that you’re seeing that error - you mentioned it in your first message but I wasn’t sure if I was suggesting the same thing that you’d described. 

Hmm, I don’t think I can offer you any other insights as I would expect that to work. I hate to pass you along, but I think that you need someone from the Support Team to take a closer look at your Zap with you; they can look at the full set up and logs for your Zap so can have access to more information than I do. You can contact the team on using the Get Help form - don’t forget to link to the relevant Zap and you can also include a link to this post to help them get up to speed :) 

If you’re able to find a solution, please let us know - I’d love to know why adding the file extension isn’t working in for you!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you so much @Danvers. I will reply here if I am able to find a solution.

Hi,

I am having this same issue.  Employees upload one document for like a criminal record check, first aid certicate etc. these can be uploaded as a pdf, jpeg or other image format and I need the filetype to be preserved. Manual intervention of changing filetypes defeats the purpose of using zapier to automate tasks.  How can I add my vote to have a fix to this solution?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @UncleG! Sorry to hear you’re also running into this.

I’ve added you to the report and while I don’t have an ETA, this is the best way to stay in the loop. We’ll send an email if anything changes and keep the thread updated.

Thanks for flagging this in community!

I am having this same issue.  I need the filetype to be preserved. Manual intervention of changing filetypes defeats the purpose of using zapier to automate tasks.  How can I add my vote to have a fix to this solution? This seems crazy that this is still an issue.

Hi I’m having the same issue here. 

I am facing a somewhat different issue. When trying upload a file to OneDrive from a publicly accessible URL, it gives this error: “Error from halted execution:”.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Danvers

Is this fixed yet?  Please add me to the ‘issue report’.

To date I’ve used your second solution, which works most of the time, but can go wrong on occasion.

All the best

C