Skip to main content
Best answer

Fallbacks and Filters aren't working when an error occurs beforehand due to missing data

• 31 July 2024
  • 6 replies

I am trying to continue a zap even after an error occurs.
In my case my application I build with zapier UI throws an error, when no data is present for the GET request. (Step 2.)
After that the steps continue since I set that the zap to keep running after an error occured. (i think) 

Not shown in the screenshots is the attempt i made with fallack paths. In the case, none of the other paths should work, since they rely on a  corrrect (non error) output of step 2., the zap should fall back on just continuing with data not relying on step 2. BUT the fallback path did not run (“path did not run as the rule conditions were not met”).

So I tried to use the path that always would run (screenshots), but then the filter to sort out the continuation in case of correct (non error) output is skipped and therefore any step after as well.

My goal is just to continue my steps in this branch only when an error in step 2. occurs. How would I do that?

part 1 of zap

Part 2 of zap

Hi there @tobias.p,

I just came across your post here and wanted to check in here to see how you’re getting on. Are you still running into the same issue here?

Please do let us know if you’re still in need of some help on this at all - happy to assist further! 🤗

Yes, the issue persists. I would be grateful, if you could help me out!

Hi @tobias.p 👋

Setting the error ratio override function to “Keep running if errors occur” would just mean that the Zap won’t be turned off if it receives repeated errors. 

To set different actions in paths to be run based on whether a step runs successfully or errors you may want to try using the custom error handling feature (see: Set up custom error handling) which will generate “Success” and “Error” paths for a specific step.

For example:
1b9a65447a5fd905ee8fa81bfbf1fb3e.png

Can you try adding a custom error handler to step 2 of your Zap and let us know if that works for your needs here?

Thank you for the input, I will try it!

Worked out great, thank you!

YAY! That’s fantastic news @tobias.p, I’m so pleased that did the trick! 😁🎉 

Seems like you’re all set for now but please do reach back out if we can help with anything else at all. In the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡️